Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home Canning

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Home Canning

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:42 am

Bought my canning supplies this summer because I figured with the supply chain being slow and more people gardening it would be prudent to get them while I could. I canned some tomatoes last Sunday and I guess I need to pack them tighter because about a 1/4 of the quart is water. Any suggestions before I do some more tomorrow morning?
Thanks
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:29 am

Ernie wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:42 am
Any suggestions before I do some more tomorrow morning?
Can't say why your jars would have leaked water while processing, but this is how I've successfully done it for decades.

Pack the peeled tomatoes tightly so they release some of their juice, pushing them down until there's only about a half inch of space above the liquid at the top of the jar. I use a knife to poke down to the bottom of the jar to release air bubbles. Lids should be sterilized, the rims of the jars should be wiped clean before placing the lids, and the rings should be tightened just finger tight.

Let us know how your next batch turns out.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:28 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:29 am
I use a knife to poke down to the bottom of the jar to release air bubbles.
that sounded like a good idea to me so I read it to my wife .... she informed me that she's been doing it for years .. :? .. shows how much I know :roll:
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Don't think jars leaked water, think I did not pack them tight enough. When I took them out of the pressure canner about 1/4 of the jar was just water with the tomatoes floating on top. Was releasing the air with a small spatula and maybe was creating more space so I will try the knife instead.
Thanks
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Packed this batch much tighter and used a knife to work the air out. Look much better.
Thanks
Ernie
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:01 am

next up, canning tomatoes .... the first 7 qts of this season are shown below .... another canner full is on the stove .... the tomatoes for a third are being prepared
Attachments
200902 001 tomatoes 001.jpg
200902 001 tomatoes 001.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:30 pm

our seasonal canning can now resume .... more tomatoes, our mountain dill pickles and some squash relish are on our agenda .... jar rings and lids ordered from Amazon back on August 26th arrived today .... this is the first time we've ordered Amazon and our order has been transported by "YunExpress" ..... lets just say that trying to keep up to date on the shipment has been a useless endeavor .... after the shipping date, updates have been few and far between .... can't recommend them ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:16 pm

our fall 2020 fall canning of tomatoes, squash relish and mountain dill pickles is complete and we should be good to go until spring .... we do not plan to be caught without an ample supply of rings and lids again .... some of our order placed with Amazon Sept 2nd is shown as "Package arrived at destination country" on the 14th .... no updates from YANWEN :evil: since .... if it doesn't arrive by the 24th, I plan to cancel the order
Attachments
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG (74.21 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
IMG_5336.JPG
IMG_5336.JPG (82.38 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG (91.21 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Tried my new food mill this morning to can tomatoes. I figured since I wanted to used them to make sauce that it made sense to can the sauce and skip a step. The mill removed the skin, seeds and white cores so I just have to thicken the sauce and add spices when I want it. I was able to get more tomato per quart but was a bit more work. My thinking was I could eliminate making another mess later.
We had a frost Saturday morning so I harvested most of the tomatoes, jalapeño and habanero peppers. I have the green tomatoes in paper bags with a banana to ripen and put the green peppers in a bag to try to ripen as well. The ripe peppers I placed in a dehydrator and will then put in jars with desiccant.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm

I just completed a minor row with Amazon that has been building for over 3 weeks .... Maureen needed Canning Jar Lids and there were literally none to be had in our area .... the price from Amazon of Ball Jars Wide Mouth and Regular Lids ====> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9 ... UTF8&psc=1 was much higher than we are used to paying .... with no other obvious choice, I placed an order .... our card was charged the next day .... from there things went down hill in a hurry .... as days passed, we were able to find enough lids to take care of this year's canning .... 19 days later with he only info provided by Griffay the name of the business we were buying the lids from that the rings had reached their destination county, I called Amazon and cancelled the order .... the fellow I spoke with said he would cancel it and Griffay would contact me within 2 days .... on the second day the lids arrived but no contact.... I immediately followed the link on our Order saying I wanted to return the order .... once again, a 2 day wait notice .... 2 days passed without any contact .... I again called and, after checking, the lady I spoke with cancelled the order and refunded our purchase price .... in looking at the rings, BUYER BEWARE .... Mason Ball Dome lids are American made .... the ones sent by Griffay are in a Ball looking box, complete with an American flag but they are stamped Made In China .... Amazon has made things right but I've learned to be more careful reading about the items we order
0 x