Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Onion Dice without Parallel Cut

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Onion Dice without Parallel Cut

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:48 pm

60+ years ago I learned to prepare food and cook it working in family restaurants .... in watching cooking shows/videos food prep, many techniques have withstood the test of time .... while I often try a new technique, I seldom stick with it .... the 3 minute video below is an exception .... the parallel cut method shown in the last of this video is the way I learned .... I find not having to make the "parallel cuts" is a stride forward for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmr1l5IV9Os
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Onion Dice without Parallel Cut

Post by Ernie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:50 pm

I will have to try that.
Thank you.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Been doing that for years. If you saute/caramelize don't make the cross cuts for diced, just cut the slices free and pop into the pan. Makes a good gravy that way.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 pm

Oddly enough that is exactly the way I have diced onions for years. It has always just seemed like the right way to do it.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:59 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 pm
It has always just seemed like the right way to do it.
I can only wish I'd seen it earlier .... ;)
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:15 pm

She sure makes it look easy, with great results!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:01 pm

That's the way I've always diced onions.

I was a fry cook for several years in my youth, didn't have much call to dice onions but I sure sliced a lot of onions and tomatoes. The other main cook was the owner so I had to have a good amount sliced up for him for when he started the morning shift. Worked 5 nights a week, I did get Saturday night off and opened Sunday morning. The owner was pretty cool, he usually gave the couple of carhops I dated (not at the same time) Saturday nights off too.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:25 pm

dave77 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:01 pm

I was a fry cook for several years in my youth, didn't have much call to dice onions but I sure sliced a lot of onions and tomatoes. The other main cook was the owner so I had to have a good amount sliced up for him for when he started the morning shift. Worked 5 nights a week, I did get Saturday night off and opened Sunday morning. The owner was pretty cool, he usually gave the couple of carhops I dated (not at the same time) Saturday nights off too.
Sounds like that worked out well! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:10 am

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:25 pm
dave77 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:01 pm

Sounds like that worked out well! :D
Worked out OK for my social life, not so much for my school work. Started there in 10th grade doing clean up. Shift started at 10 PM, a lot of nights I wasn't done until 2 AM, a lot of my teachers had to get used to me napping in class. Got promoted to cook (KFC) and still did cleanup but then my shift stated at 5 or 6 PM. Also that was early 70's and for awhile they tried attendance on the honor system, you can probably guess how well that worked out. ;)
0 x