Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Beef Jerky Recipe

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Beef Jerky Recipe

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 pm

Today's batch turned out great. I cut back on the salt, only using a tsp per pound, but I will add another 1/4 tsp back to the next batch. It could have been a bit saltier.

You made my day! It's my pleasure to have introduced you and your club to the Dakota Jerky recipe and the dehydrator/jerky gun process.

I also use the dehydrator to dry cherry tomatoes that I store with and without Olive Oil or pulverize into a powder to use as tomato paste. Awesome.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Today's batch turned out great. I cut back on the salt, only using a tsp per pound,
just checked with my wife .... before making our first run I told her that yours had turned out too salty .... she just told me that because of that she cut back the course Sea/Kosher salt for our 1 lb recipe to 3/4 tsp .... add the 1/4 tsp of Prague and that put a total of 1 tsp of salt in ours .... for our taste, that was fine .... by the way, that Prague stuff is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted .... by the way, she did at liquid smoke to ours
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:36 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:27 pm
CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Today's batch turned out great. I cut back on the salt, only using a tsp per pound,
just checked with my wife .... before making our first run I told her that yours had turned out too salty .... she just told me that because of that she cut back the course Sea/Kosher salt for our 1 lb recipe to 3/4 tsp .... add the 1/4 tsp of Prague and that put a total of 1 tsp of salt in ours .... for our taste, that was fine .... by the way, that Prague stuff is the saltiest salt I've ever tasted .... by the way, she did at liquid smoke to ours
Be careful with the Prague salt, Jim. It contains nitrite, a preservative, and could be toxic to humans.

https://blog.allspiceonline.com/blog/pr ... rth-is-it/
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am

good to know .... with all the stuff its apparently in, I don't believe any of us has a problem with it .... will most certainly pass that on .... if we don't use the Prague salt wouldn't we just need to up the Sea Salt by the same amount :?:
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:42 am

JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am
... if we don't use the Prague salt wouldn't we just need to up the Sea Salt by the same amount :?:
The nitrite is what keeps the jerky from developing botulism. I've understood that it's important to include, especially for large batches that may not be consumed for awhile, up to two years.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threa ... re.248066/
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 pm

don't anticipate any of ours making it that long but having just bought a large jar of Prague and seeing how little it takes, we'll be using it for long time to come
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 pm

just put 3.2 lbs of 93% lean hamburger into the dehydrator .... it filled 4 trays and just under half of the 5th .... based on us having 6 trays, I believe we can dehydrate 4 lbs at a time
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:10 am

a few observations (AKA lessons learned Image )

> I need to be more consistent in the height of the strips from the jerky gun ..... that involves both controlling the pace of moving the gun as it dispenses the mixed meat and the pressure on the gun's trigger .... slowing the pace thickens the strip, as does more pressure on the trigger .... pace is something I can and will work on .... sadly, our Jerky Gun is cheaply built and its action is sloppy .... pardon the pun but the action is jerky ... I suspect a better one will soon be in house

> small changes in the recipe can and do have a considerable impact on flavor and pepper heat .... in short, take care with measuring ingredients

> our first batch was with 90% lean hamburger from a local grocery that has its own butcher shop .... we didn't have any grease that needed to be blotted .... our second was with Walmart 93% lean hamburger and we ended up having to blot grease several times .... if the fat content numbers are correct, that makes no sense to me
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:18 pm

Yeah. The jerky gun is just plastic and flimsy metal, but I've been using mine for nearly a decade and it's still working well for me.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in the thickness of the strips, but attention to measuring ingredients is very important, for sure. As for grease, I've never made a batch that didn't require a little mopping up with a paper towel, even when using ground bison. I just thought it was normal.

If you get another jerky gun, please let us know what you select. Amazon offers several stainless steel models.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:00 pm

as you note, they do offer several different ones ..... we decided to go with the SIGVAL Jerky Gun ====> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079F ... UTF8&psc=1 .... with 949 rating it carries a 4.7 of 5 stars, 84% rate it 5 stars and only 6 of the 949 rate it at 3 stars or below .... my wife liked "The stainless steel attachments and tube are dishwasher safe;" .... I like the fact that the piston rod is round, no notches like the cheap one .... that has to ensure a smoother operation .... I like their statement: "100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We are so confident in the quality and performance of this jerky gun, your purchase is backed by the Sigval Satisfaction Guarantee. If after purchasing this gun you are dissatisfied for any reason, you can return it for a complete refund. " .... it is designed to hold 1 lb, we looked at the larger 1.5 lb model but it wasn't worth $10 more dollars to us .... its supposed to arrive on Thursday and we hope to make a big run on Friday
2 x