Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Beef Jerky Recipe

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Beef Jerky Recipe

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:21 am

lesson learned the hard way .... well, I sure hope it has been LEARNED .... that being to not get distracted and leave it in the dehydrator tooooo long .... yesterday's batch is most certainly edible but its over done .... just put our first pound of Teriyaki flavored meat in the dehydrator .... we want to use this batch to figure out how much (if any) difference in curing time it makes for a 1 lb and a 3 lb batch .... also learned a neat trick on how to process the glob of meat left in the nozzle when the piston has pushed it all out of the cylinder .... that being to flatten it between two pieces of wax paper and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter .. 8-)
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 am

JEBar wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:21 am
lesson learned the hard way .... well, I sure hope it has been LEARNED .... that being to not get distracted and leave it in the dehydrator tooooo long .... yesterday's batch is most certainly edible but its over done .... just put our first pound of Teriyaki flavored meat in the dehydrator .... we want to use this batch to figure out how much (if any) difference in curing time it makes for a 1 lb and a 3 lb batch .... also learned a neat trick on how to process the glob of meat left in the nozzle when the piston has pushed it all out of the cylinder .... that being to flatten it between two pieces of wax paper and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter .. 8-)
I'll bet that lesson has been learned!

I just started a 3 lb batch this morning (90/10). I mixed the spices in 3 one lb batches, then marinated the 3 lbs together in a one gallon ziploc bag in the fridge. I did add another 1/2 tsp of salt the mix after my last batch seemed to want a bit more.

The 3 lbs filled all six trays of my Nesco dehydrator and should be done at about 6 o'clock. I'll start checking it at about 4.

I just flatten that little glob into a coin shape, about the size of a silver dollar and the same thickness as the strips. :D

Today's batch, top tray
Today's batch, top tray
3 lb batch.jpg (190.92 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:26 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:41 am
I just started a 3 lb batch this morning (90/10).
I mentioned earlier that 90-10 hamburger from a local grocery didn't require any mopping during the dehydrating process and 93-7 hamburger from Walmart required mopping several times ... the batch we made yesterday is from the local grocery and once again did not require any mopping .... something ain't right somewhere :?
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:14 pm

the pound of Teriyaki flavored Jerky took about 6 hours .... it turned out to be our best run of Jerky to date .... so much so that we have another 2 lbs mixed up and in the frig .... we plan to process it tomorrow .. 8-)
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 pm

My 3 lbs turned out great, too. Salt was just right.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm

we are still using you the amount of salt and Prague shown in your opening post .... works for us .... have you ever tried any with soy sauce .. :?: .. I continue to be surprised by small variety of flavorings are offered by commercial companies
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:19 am

JEBar wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm
we are still using you the amount of salt and Prague shown in your opening post .... works for us .... have you ever tried any with soy sauce .. :?: .. I continue to be surprised by small variety of flavorings are offered by commercial companies
This batch was salted just right, so I'll continue to use 1 1/2 tsps if salt. A very long time ago, I made jerky with teriyaki and sliced flank steak. It was very good, but since I've been using ground beef, I haven't made any other than with the Dakota recipe. I like that Cayenne bite. :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 pm

we just finished seasoning and processing 2 lbs of hamburger to make regular Dakota Jerky and another 4 lbs to make Teriyaki flavored jerky .... each batch is in a gallon Ziploc in the frig .... we hope to run both through the dehydrator tomorrow but that may a bit optimistic .... we haven't ever run a 4 lb batch so we don't know how long its going to take .... should be interesting
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am

first run of 6 full trays of Teriyaki flavored beef put in the dehydrator at 9:25AM .... no clue how long it will take, this is the first time we've processed a full load .... more to be put in tomorrow morning .... as a side note, we also plan to process a full load of pineapple in our decades old Ronco Food Dehydrator .... :D
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:04 am

JEBar wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am
first run of 6 full trays of Teriyaki flavored beef put in the dehydrator at 9:25AM .... no clue how long it will take, this is the first time we've processed a full load .... more to be put in tomorrow morning .... as a side note, we also plan to process a full load of pineapple in our decades old Ronco Food Dehydrator .... :D
I wouldn't expect the amount of food in the dehydrator to affect the timing, at all. It hasn't in my experience, anyway. The airflow and temperature of the Nesco system seems to be consistent no matter how many trays are used. I look forward to your next report.
0 x