Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sous Vide

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Sous Vide

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Thanks for the review and for describing the process you're using to evaluate the device, JEBar. I've heard that when the internal temp is reached with this method, even if it's allowed to remain in the water bath for a longer time, actual "cooking" doesn't continue, so that it can't be overcooked. It just maintains that temp. What do you think?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 pm

I believe that to be the case .... I've read where some good restaurants are using this method .... they can have a bunch of steaks in the pot cooked to medium .... a couple of folks come in and one orders a medium rare stake, the other a medium well steak .... they can pop a medium one on the grill along with a raw one and get both steaks ready to put on the table at the same time .... that is one of the attractions for when we have our kids over for steaks, we can get everything ready to serve at about the same time .... in addition it allows us to have a grilled type steak on days when circumstances are such that we can't or don't want to get out and fire up the grill
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am

It smells good already. In the case of the steaks and a large group, that makes sense.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member