Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Redesigning" my BP range box

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

"Redesigning" my BP range box

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:04 am

Decided to do one of those "I'll get around to it" projects yesterday. Kept me busy for a little while, and I enjoyed "seeing" in my mind's eye how this will work when I get out to the muzzleloader shooting range again.

I have one range box set up for my Russian .45LC revolver. Not a lot of stuff to carry, and I use a medium-sized Stack-On tool box for everything, including the revolver.

BP stuff is a little different to carry. Basically, I take everything needed to "reload each shot on the spot." ;) For all who reload centerfire cartridges, think along the lines of what you'd need to take with you to reload at the range bench. I know that's not easily practical, but you get the gist of it.

My starting point is that I like simple. With my first pistol, I shoot .50Cal RBs. Now I'll also shoot .36Cal RBs out of my Underhammer. So I wanted to take all reloading supplies, range-cleaning supplies, and two sets of tools in one range box for both pistols. That was the challenge. Here are the successful results.

range carry.3602.JPG
range carry.3602.JPG (194.86 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
range carry.3603.JPG
range carry.3603.JPG (193.23 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

Black box is a Stack-On tool box sans top tray. Mainly used for larger or bulkier stuff like my ramrods, hammer, and so on. Milky-colored box has sized compartments, formerly a tackle tray. Have my .36 cal and .50 cal tools in the two top right compartments, cleaning supplies since I do some prelim cleaning at the range on the Trapper sidelock, and shooting supplies for both calibers.

range carry.3604.JPG
range carry.3604.JPG (160.39 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

Milky box angled into the black box leaves room for whichever pistol I choose to shoot. The back of the box is deep enough for me to put either pistol in. Everything I need can be carried in one hand. In my other hand I carry my homemade wood pistol reloading stand. Takes just a short time to add in the caliber of RBs I need, and one of my pistols.

In case you've forgotten what these BP pistols look like..... :roll:
UH left side b_3580.JPG
UH left side b_3580.JPG (254.8 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
DSCN3296.JPG
DSCN3296.JPG (201.64 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

This ended up to be a simple, all-in-one range box. Which I like. :D
Have a good day, Everyone.

PT7
2 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: "Redesigning" my BP range box

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:24 am

Very nice, and good planning. Do you have a loading stand in there somewhere?
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:34 am

My rangebox before a recent. massive clean out and rearrangement!
It's about 2/3 less than this now!
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG (192.24 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:52 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:24 am
Sure wish it would fit, Gunny! It's bigger than the Stack-On.
But there is a plus about the loading stand. I'll only need it for the Trapper. The underhammer instructs show how to off hand hold the pistol and reload it. Interesting that Pedersoli says not to stand the pistol grip on a base. 8-)
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:57 am

PT7 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:52 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:24 am
Sure wish it would fit, Gunny! It's bigger than the Stack-On.
But there is a plus about the loading stand. I'll only need it for the Trapper. The underhammer instructs show how to off hand hold the pistol and reload it. Interesting that Pedersoli says not to stand the pistol grip on a base. 8-)
I made a fold up stand for my revolver, that you might want to make. It's pretty small. Would be simple for you to modify for your pistol(s).

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:27 am

A real challenge is taking a BP gun to the field for varmint hunting, off hand shooting at various targets etc.

One of the reasons I have never used a stand for pistol or rifle as I am typically in the woods when shooting.

Set up properly it's not hard to carry supplies for maybe a 20-30 round day in the field.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Note...I didn't see any reading/magnifier glasses in those boxes! :D

I always carry a pair around in my range bag for the little fix it issues.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:04 pm

I didn't see any reading/magnifier glasses in those boxes!
Oh man! Readers are a new reality for me after my eye surgery a couple years ago.

I don't need them all the time but just for a few situations such as very tiny print and close work and I have learned to keep a pair everywhere around the house!
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Although many rendezvous's have both modern and primitive shooters, my shooting partner, his wife and I tried to stay as primitive as possible so no plastic. Camped in his teepee and wore primitive outfits, one rendezvous we went to actually required that you wore moccasins on the trail walk/run. Here's my range box, also had a leather shoulder bag for the trail walks.

1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Although many rendezvous's have both modern and primitive shooters, my shooting partner, his wife and I tried to stay as primitive as possible so no plastic. Camped in his teepee and wore primitive outfits, one rendezvous we went to actually required that you wore moccasins on the trail walk/run. Here's my range box, also had a leather shoulder bag for the trail walks.

C'mon now. I see those Speer boxes in there. :lol:
1 x