Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some BP questions

A place for your black powder fun
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Some BP questions

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm

I see Pyrodex powder mentioned for beginners. A little more user friendly by the sound of it. Thoughts? Who uses it?

Also, anybody shooting .45 caliber, or most doing .50 or .54?

I quite like both of these...just sayin'....

https://marstar.ca/product/pedersoli-al ... cussion-2/

https://marstar.ca/product/pedersoli-cu ... n-model-2/

...appreciate any input.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Some BP questions

Post by Mistered » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:04 pm

I tried Pyrodex a couple years ago when I ran out of 'real' BP and it was the weekend, I wanted to go shooting and no BP was available so I went to my local variety store and they had Pyrodex so I bought a can and went shooting - I'll never return to the "Holy Black' as some call it. Accuracy was incredible with Pyrodex and I could shoot much longer between bore swabs. It also seemed to ignite faster and have a sharper 'crack' on report as opposed to a slightly 'hollow' BP 'boom' report. It was also easier to clean than BP.

My first ML was a homebuilt CVA .45 but what remained of it went away on Ebay for a $100 a couple years ago.

I currently have a Euroarms .58 Springfield 1863 'Zouave' , the .54 T/C 'Renegade' I restored a couple years ago and a CVA 1851 'Navy' Colt .36 cal.
Last edited by Mistered on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:17 pm

"At the beginning" for me last August, RR, I got suggestions/recommendations from a number of sources on what powder to use. And I read a lot of stuff, too. My choice was Hodgdon Triple Seven, which is a sulfurless black powder substitute. Pyrodex is also a substitute offered by Hodgdon. I've only used 777 in my 50cal Trapper pistol, so don't have any comparison to Pyrodex. One thing I've read is that 777 is a little bit more of a spirited powder "generating stronger pressures and muzzle velocities" than Pyrodex.

I like how my Trapper shoots with 777. Whenever I use up my couple of pounds in stock, might try something else. Good for now. BTW, the water clean up of 777 is pretty easy to do.

Guess I'll point you to a Chuck Hawks article written by Randy Wakeman back in 2004. Talks about black powders, Pyrodex, 777, and some other related ML stuff. Not overly lengthy, but interesting info. Article also talks about pellets, which I've not used. I think it was a good beginning article for me as I considered using 777. https://www.chuckhawks.com/triple_seven.htm And I bet you'll get some good direction from the more-experienced BP shooters here.

And those are nice Pedersoli rifles.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Pyrodex was the 'original' BP substitute and while there are now many to choose from a lot are recommended only for modern 'inline' rifles using 209 shotgun primers as traditional percussion caps will not reliably ignite some of them.

I might try the Triple 7 next.
Last edited by Mistered on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Good info, thanks all. .45 caliber round ball would be consistent with my other guns, and probably ok for target shooting. We'll see, still waiting on my high wall....hopefully soon and a fun summer ahead.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:18 am

I think since BP isn't as popular as it once was, the major companies are starting to slow or even stop making anything other than .50 cal round balls. I know absolutely nothing about Conicals. Never shot them.
I started out shooting Pyrodex. It worked great, and was very accurate. Today I use real BP. The problem with BP is its hard to find a supplier locally that carries it. It's considered an Explosive. Which means your local supplier has to account for every single grain of it every day. It's a PITA,for them, and most everybody has quit carrying it. You can order it if you don't mind all the sur charges. You can buy Pyrodex anywhere. When my supply of BP runs out I'm buying Pyrodex again. It burns cleaner, it's more accurate and you actually use less of it. I did contact a fellow mountain man who belongs to the Overmountain Men reinactors here at Sycamore Shoals, who told me they buy BP in large kegs, and then split it up to there members, and he offered me some. I really don't want 8 lbs. So if you really want some fairly cheap, it can be done that way. Save yourself the hassle, and go with a .50 cal with Pyrodex.
I shoot a rifle that was made to shoot round balls only. It shoots BP or Pyrodex equally the same, and has for over 40 years. I've never shot a BP pistol or shotgun, so I can't help ya there either.
Watch yer Topknot.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:33 am

50 cal. is much easer to find at most gun shops, around here anyways. 45 is a great cal. for target shooting and there are many here that use it. You can't go wrong with a 45. As for powder I only use 3f black powder in all my rifles. All but 1 are flintlocks so I have to use only black powder. Back when Pyrodex powder came out I used 1 pound and it took me a couple of years to use it up. It felt to me like it had lost some of it's power so I never bought another pound of it. I have heard that it does have a shelf life. Black powder is just as strong 100 years after it was made as the day it was made. I would get what ever is the most convenient for you where you live. Have fun and be safe. Read all you can on the safety precautions when shooting muzzleloaders as there are some that you don't use when shooting centerfire rifles.

Jim
0 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 am

Speaking of needing to use 209 primers, I used Blackhorn 209 in my TC Encore muzzle loaders. It's expensive, but pretty amazing stuff. Never have to swab and you clean it just like smokeless powder when you're done. Shooting Blackhorn 209 in the Encore was no different than shooting a smokeless powder gun other than you have to load through the muzzle. Accuracy with Barnes sabots would give any lever gun shooting cartridges a run for the money. Really chuckle when folks call these in-lines primitive weapons.

5 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:58 am

Nice shootin' there NCG.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:49 pm

Add-on to your ...just sayin'... likes, RR.

If I could shoot a rifle (the biggie issue due to my eye challenges), I wouldn't hesitate getting this Traditions 50cal Hawken Woodsman and shoot round balls. I like the Traditions pistol I already have, and think this company has fairly well-made products. Would be a hoot to add this one into my gun cabinet. Saw one of these Hawken models available today at an online gun shop in IA at a decent price with no shipping fee.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data ... R24008.jpg

PT7
2 x

~Пока~