Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Life of a barrel

Tell us how you do it
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Life of a barrel

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Curious, how many rounds can you shoot in the same barrel before..? Like any metal, assume wear is happening in there. There's a lot of old guns out there that still shoot fine I am guessing. Thoughts or experiences?
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Life of a barrel

Post by leverjc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Way to many variables with the barrel and ammunition to even attempt an opinion.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Lead is a lot softer than steel and even jacketed bullets will not cause excessive wear. When primers were still corrosive and some of the gun powder burned with a flame cutter effect, barrel life , most likely on target rifles that were shot a lot , could have been a concern. Now I would think that careless cleaning would be an enemy of good accuracy.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 pm

my experience is based on hunting rifles/revolvers .... I'm pretty sure that it may not apply to precision/long range firearms .... the faster the bullets, the faster the wear .... our Remington 700 chambered for 300 WBY Mag spits 180 gr Noslers out at 3,200 fps .... I have no doubt that she ain't as accurate as she used to be but she's still much more accurate than I am .... I bought it for big game hunting and I don't have to be able to put its bullets all in the same hole to put a critter down .... with all the memories tied up in it, there is no way I'd ever want to let it go .... if necessary, I'd rebarrel it .... our Henry BBS 44 Mag has had untold thousands of round fired through it at roughly half the fps of the Weatherby and if its barrel is worn enough to influence its accuracy, I certainly haven't noticed .... in thinking about it, I hope to be able to shoot it enough to where I had to worry about having the barrel replaced .. :D
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:09 am

That is a good question. That is one of the reasons that I lean towards a new firearm. Below is a short and long answer that I have came across:

Short:
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... 0or%20less.

Long:
https://youtu.be/hxRSPSWmkz0
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).