Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

brush on Henry 45-70

Tell us how you do it
Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: brush on Henry 45-70

Post by Team Roper » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:06 am

For copper removal, I have not found anything that works better then the foam stuff you can buy and I've tried just about all the expensive ,strong smelling, snake oils.
I used to do what many suggest an remove the bore brush from the rod and not returning the brush back through the bore. Bull! That is a pain in the butt so I just return the brush back through the bore. If that procedure ruins the bore then all I got to say is don't shoot bullets through the bore because you might really goof it up.
I like Ballistol but I think it is to weak a cleaner, works good in muzzle loaders though. I usually let my Ed's Red sit in the bore a bit before running patches through it,same with Hoppes or any other cleaner. They make solvents for just lead removal and I find they work well,Shooter's Choice lead remover and Montana Extream Cowboy Blend works well for lead removal. I don't find copper or lead hard to remove. Chor Boy wrapped around a bore brush is your friend for any heavy stuff but that usually doesn't happen unless your bullet sizing and lubes are in question. Don't worry yourself sick over cleaning for a really shiny bore. Heck, some of my best groups are done with a dirty bore. For this reason, I never clean my bore before or during hunting season.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:15 pm

So many different opinions on what is the best way to clean a bore. I do not believe there is any one best way to clean all bores. I have many different guns and they all clean up differently. The bore of a Wilson Combat match grade barrel will clean up completely with nothing but a few patches after several hundred rounds and I have an old 336 barrel that needs a lot of cleaning just to get the long streaks of copper build up out of the bore after 20 rounds. Most of my guns take some where in between to get clean.
0 x

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:52 pm

I have just recently started using a bore snake. When at the range and done shooting I pull the bore snake breech to muzzle a few times. When I get home I run some patches with hopppes and a lightly oiled patch and I’m done with the barrel bore. I wipe down the brass receiver, furniture, then the outside of the barrel with a lightly oiled rag and put it in the safe. The bore snake seems to do a rather good job for the effort it takes.
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:39 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 pm
I dont get wrapped up in the the hype of do it this way or you will ruin this or that. Ive always done it the way Ive been doing it since i bought my first gun. I havent ruined one yet. If you think the brush is doing you some good then use it. I do once in a while. If Im cleaning out copper I run a patch down the barrel let it sit for a spell and run another one down the barrel. Do this until the blue is almost gone. Other than that I run patches brushes both ways. I just do what works for me. Always have and I always will.

What Al said........ :D
1 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm

People spend way too much time in the bore hole, and usually much too little time on the moving parts. Trust me, that bullet will come out of the muzzle unless the bore is totally jammed up. But a little bit of carbon and grit in the moving parts can bring things to a screeching halt in no time.

Unless you are shooting a precision match grade rifle at 1000+ yds you don't need to sweat a little bit of copper or powder residue in the bore. And shining it up to bare steel every time you run a few rounds ain't gonna make you or the rifle a better shooter.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:26 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm
People spend way too much time in the bore hole, and usually much too little time on the moving parts. Trust me, that bullet will come out of the muzzle unless the bore is totally jammed up. But a little bit of carbon and grit in the moving parts can bring things to a screeching halt in no time.

Unless you are shooting a precision match grade rifle at 1000+ yds you don't need to sweat a little bit of copper or powder residue in the bore. And shining it up to bare steel every time you run a few rounds ain't gonna make you or the rifle a better shooter.
How often would you recommend disassembly for cleaning?
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 am

james89 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:26 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm

How often would you recommend disassembly for cleaning?
There is no hard and fast rule. It completely depends on the firearm and the environment it lives in. For example; compare a custom tight clearance Kimber 1911 to a issue GI 1911. The GI gun has loose clearances for a reason - that being to allow it to shoot under conditions which would stop the Kimber in it's tracks. But the Kimber is a far more accurate weapon. There's always trade offs.

I've done a complete teardown and cleaning of my BBSC once since I bought it in Aug. 2018, and after putting a couple hundred rounds thru it. It wasn't giving me any problems, but I just wanted to see how gunked up it might be. It was remarkably clean, so just wiped the pieces off, lubed it up, and will probably not tear it down again for several years. But I don't shoot it often - a few rounds just prior to deer season, mostly just to check zero and maintain my skills, and one round per deer. :)

Anyway, instead of me getting too windy, I recommend you watch a series of video's at the below site: Specifically Parts 37 thru 45. This entire series is focused on ELR precision shooting & equipment, but the fundamentals apply to any firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vDCIcEPxUn
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 am
There is no hard and fast rule. It completely depends on the firearm and the environment it lives in.
agree and to that I'd add the preference of the owner .... I have friends who literally can't stand seeing a speck of dirt on their vehicles, boats, campers, etc .... accordingly, they spend hours washing and polishing them .... the bottom line is, while its not for me, that's perfectly OK .... folks who and hopefully enjoy spending hours swabbing the barrels and micro cleaning the actions of their firearms should do so .... I'm simply not in that camp
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:45 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:36 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 am
There is no hard and fast rule. It completely depends on the firearm and the environment it lives in.
agree and to that I'd add the preference of the owner .... I have friends who literally can't stand seeing a speck of dirt on their vehicles, boats, campers, etc .... accordingly, they spend hours washing and polishing them .... the bottom line is, while its not for me, that's perfectly OK .... folks who and hopefully enjoy spending hours swabbing the barrels and micro cleaning the actions of their firearms should do so .... I'm simply not in that camp
There is that personal preference of course. :)
0 x

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm

My marlin is clean with out help, if I shoot I will do a quick patch or two but I just take the lever and bolt patch wipe the bolt and put it away till I shoot again.my Henry 3030 was filthy when I got it apart! Like only the rifling had any shine so I'm probably going to have to keep my eye on it better but I'm new to ownership in general so I don't wanna distroy them in ignorance
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.