Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

brush on Henry 45-70

Tell us how you do it
Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: brush on Henry 45-70

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Wheeler gunsmith screwdriver set works fine on my 45/70 lever. Fits perfect. Got mine at BassPro.
1 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: brush on Henry 45-70

Post by Conax » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:26 pm

The internetz are full of expertz nowadays, mostly young fellows trying to fit into the 'hive mind'. If a few swipes with a wet copper brush will ruin a barrel, just think what damage 30 jacketed bullets would do!
These things are made of steel. Copper brushes are a lot softer. Don't change directions before pushing it (or pulling) it out, clean from the breech, do it sparingly. I'm of the opinion that jacketed bullets actually polish up new rifles, help smooth rough spots, and hone the riflings slowly over time. All good stuff.
I used to load my own for a Marlin .357 CB. One loading was too hot, no gas checks, the leading looked so bad I thought I really messed it up. It cleaned up (a bit of elbow grease that time) and was like new.
I've been using the foam stuff for a while with great results. No brushing at all. Even the chamber comes clean after two applications.
Still, I used brushes for 47 years and never ruined a gun yet. I'm just lazy now.
1 x