Re: Bore Snake.

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:36 am

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:42 pm
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:28 pm
Rifletom wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 pm
Yep, you'll be fine. Ballistol works well also.
As I understand it, with Ballistol, you could come home after an afternoon at the range, spray a good bit of it down the bore and let it sit for a bit before running a snake through one or two passes?
If the bore is really cruddy, sure. Normally, you can clean as you would normally. Is a bore snake all you are using?
Nope, rod patches hoppes toothbrush and q tips. Only used bore snake once before posting. It was surprisingly dirty from the factory and then I cleaned it at after about 300-400 rounds.
1 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:17 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:06 pm
I use lots of Ballistol. Great stuff and it is a CLP.
Do you spray and let it soak/sit in the bore before hitting it with rod/patches or a boresnake? Or do you apply to patches and clean with it?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:50 pm

Personally, I don't soak unless I know my bore is very dirty from a lot of rounds, or, If, shame on me, I have not cleaned recently.
Typically though, I just run the snake through a couple times with the snake and some Balistol. Of course I DO take a look at the bore with my prism or bore light to make sure I've done enough.
I would rather take care of my cleaning needs all at once rather than spraying and walking away while it soaks, only to forget to return to finish the job. Sometimes it becomes nesessary though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:45 am

I've been using them for a number of years for both .30 Cal. (7.62) and .22 bores. I think they do a great job. I always pull a patch soaked with Ed's Red bore cleaner down the barrel first, let it sit a while, then pull through the bore snake a couple times.

I always wanted one of those bore snake cameras to really see the condition of my bores, but the prices were always WAY out of my league. A year or so ago, I found them CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP on Amazon, so I pulled the trigger and bought one. It works very well, especially on old military rifles. These work so well, I actually thought I might start doing my own colonoscopes at home. :lol:
Last edited by BMCTED on Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 am

I also use bore snakes for normal cleaning. If I detect a lot of copper fouling then I'll plug the bore with a bore squeegee from the chamber end. Pour in copper bore cleaner through the muzzle and let it soak.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BMCTED
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BMCTED » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:32 am

Mags wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 am
I also use bore snakes for normal cleaning. If I detect a lot of copper fouling then I'll plug the bore with a bore squeegee from the chamber end. Pour in copper bore cleaner through the muzzle and let it soak.
If I find an old military rifle with a particularly nasty looking bore, before I give up on it I use an electronic bore cleaner. There are several kits out there, but I have made up my own, and my own electrolytic solution. I've cleaned up a number of barrels I though were only useful as tomato stakes. Of course, one has to "slug the bore" and check thoroughly before use.
0 x

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:26 pm

For whatever is worth: I have been using nothing but Boresnake and Ballistol for the past 25 years on ALL my 22LR barrels, including all Henry rifles, and I have never, ever, had a problem.
0 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

pennsylvaniapete
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by pennsylvaniapete » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:43 pm

I can’t even get my bore snake, brass cap end, to go all the way through the barrel of my ‘Golden boy .22 and come out the other end. The size says .22 to .270 …..any suggestions!
I am putting it in the muzzle end, not the breech end.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm

pennsylvaniapete wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:43 pm
I can’t even get my bore snake, brass cap end, to go all the way through the barrel of my ‘Golden boy .22 and come out the other end. The size says .22 to .270 …..any suggestions!
I am putting it in the muzzle end, not the breech end.
Are you sure it's a rifle snake and not a pistol snake? Then again, If it said .270, then it should be a rifle length.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Too short or too tight? My .22 boresnake is really tight going through both my .22 and my .556 to the point where I thought it was going to break. It got a little easier as I used it. Are you trying to pull it through dry? Might try a dampening it with a little CLP.
0 x