Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lewis Lead Remover

Tell us how you do it
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Lewis Lead Remover

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:15 pm

tx gunrunner wrote: I run wet patches of kroil bore cleaner in bore and let the kroil do the work for over 20 yrs and no brushing needed. This works for me.
You are a Henry Rifle Forums' Firearms Advisor, TGR. Thanks for telling us about this. I just read the reviews for Kroil and I was impressed by it's general usefulness -- the "oil that creeps".
Brownells - http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/kroil-prod7610.aspx wrote: A lubricating and penetrating oil that flows into the tiniest of crevices, lifts away lead and copper jacket fouling, frees up super-tight barrels, loosens frozen screws and bolts. Dissolves dried grease and oil, displaces water, without harming metal. Works great for getting underneath and loosening built-up carbon, copper and lead fouling in shotgun, rifle and pistol barrels.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:33 pm

JEBar wrote:I've never shot a Cowboy Action course but I have seen one .... that certainly doesn' Action muzzle velocities are fine at close range but have a larger rainbow trajectory than I'm happy with at the longer ranges we shoot .... for that reason we load our paper punchers to higher muzzle velocities and in doing so we do have some lead build up .... thankfully, its easy to remove
I've been cast bullets since 1968 . I'm a gunsmith and made my own bullet molds [ below ] and guns for long range bench and offhand cast shooting cast bullets below . Here is a sample of the stuff I made . . I walls of trophy shooting cast bullets too . Paper patch bullet , jacket and gas check bullet are not legal in a lot my long range cast shooting matches . The 40-60 Maynard I shot from 100 to 600 yd matches .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:35 pm

that's an impressive rig and you clearly handle it extremely well .... prior to buying our Henry rifles, I never fired lead bullets .... in fact, I've still only fired lead bullets in our Henry 357, 44 Mag, and 45-70 along with our Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag .... in all of our other rifles and pistols, we've always fired jacketed bullets and I don't see that changing .... I understand your reasoning behind not firing lead and jacketed bullets through the same firearm but for me that isn't an option .... while in our Henry rifles I practice with lead ( to save $$$ ), I haven't reached the point where I would feel comfortable hunting with them .... I prefer jacketed bullets for hunting and normally use ones made by Nosler .... consequently, I fire both with most being lead .... in our 45-70 my hunting bullet would be a 300 grain Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip .... should I ever need to move up to 400+ grain bullets, I have no clue what I'd use because Nosler doesn't make one in that weight

my plan is to have a gunsmith I've come to trust in Texas do some work on our 45-70 in January while we are down there for the winter .... I want him to install a Mercury recoil suppressor and better recoil pad .... while going north next spring I plan to stop by Mag-Na-Port and have them port it .... I'm looking forward to getting it taken care of
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:29 am

When I 1st moved to Tn I used my 44-40 lever gun [ below ] with 200 gr lead bullet to kill 3 deer and I killed another deer with my 50 cal flint gun [ below ] 1st time out using a patched round ball so your right you don't need a 400 gr bullet to kill a deer under 150 yds . You only need bullet placed in the right spot .

The reason for my post was to show people if you don't need a Lewis Lead Remover tool if you never lead the gun up in the 1st place . I hate cleaning lead out of barrels and if you are leading up a gun you are doing something wrong and need to switch to maybe to a jacket bullets . This is my opinion .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:32 am

tx gunrunner wrote:When I 1st moved to Tn I used my 44-40 lever gun [ below ] with 200 gr lead bullet to kill 3 deer and I killed another deer with my 50 cal flint gun [ below ] 1st time out using a patched round ball so your right you don't need a 400 gr bullet to kill a deer under 150 yds . You only need bullet placed in the right spot .

The reason for my post was to show people if you don't need a Lewis Lead Remover tool if you never lead the gun up in the 1st place . I hate cleaning lead out of barrels and if you are leading up a gun you are doing something wrong and need to switch to maybe to a jacket bullets . This is my opinion .
historically we have deer hunted with 30 caliber rifles and 357/44 mag pistols .... in our 308's we use 150 grain, in our 30-06's we use 165 grain and in our 300 WBY Mag we use 180 grain Nosler bullets .... my boys and I have all hunted and taken deer with black powder rifles (I use a Thompson Center 50 caliber Hawken) and certainly agree that shot placement is universally critical .... while I appreciate your position on lead I don't find getting it out of a barrel isn't a big deal for me .... given, we've never had what could remotely be considered a significant build up in one of our rifles .... with the Lewis Lead Remover we have found that removing it takes about as much effort as cleaning our burnt powder
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 pm

This is my one of jacket hunting guns . I built the Remmy on for hunting . Sold it a few yrs ago to my buddy here in TX .
Sold the Tc too I got for pig hunting here in Tx . My health won't let me hunt anymore :roll: :roll:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 pm

nice rifles, I have no doubt you hated to part with them .... understood on not being able to hunt like you used to .... I'm pretty much in the same boat .... I can man a stand but can't walk the drive .... in the first picture below shows my Remington 1100 and 1187 .... both have been retrofitted with top recoil pads and Mercury Recoil Suppressors ... you can literally shoot skeet with them all day, when I have the opportunity, firing a couple of hundred rounds is no problem .... the 1100 has been fitted to use Remington Chokes ....

Remington 700 chambered in 300 WBY Mag and all weather 700 chambered in 30-06 .... I've had the Browing BLR chambered in 308 the longest .... all three have been refitted with outstanding recoil pads, Mercury recoil suppressors and Mag-na-ported .... I haven't hunted with any of them in several years but don't even want to think about parting with them .... they will be passed on to our sons .... none of them have ever fired a lead bullet ....
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm

recently one of our sons showed me a stainless Ruger GP100 357 that had the worst case of lead buildup in its 6" barrel that I've ever seen .... it literally looked like a smooth bore .... he said a friend told him that he'd worn out his GP and was thinking about sending it back to Ruger to have another barrel installed .... our son asked him to let us take a look at it first .... I'd told our son about buying a Lewis Lead Remover, if there ever has been a worst case test, this had to it .... while it didn't remove all of the accumulated lead on its first pass though the barrel, the pile of lead slivers it brought out with it was impressive .... in doing so, it exposed the rifling thus proving that the barrel was fine .... for me this was a most impressive demonstration and has completely sold me on this lead removal system
4 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sun May 28, 2017 6:33 am

JEBar,

Thanks for letting us know that the Lewis Lead Remover still exists. I bought one many decades ago and left it behind somewhere in one of my moves. It worked great. I don't have much of a leading problem at all with the bullets that I am using, but I did find a tiny bit cleaning my Big Boy. I'll be buying them from Brownells for my Henry and Rugers!

tx gunrunner,

Thanks for the tip on the kroil. I might as well order some from Brownells also and give it a try.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:14 pm

I have never used the Lewis tool but one thing I have done is I went to Walgreens and bought some Chore Girl scrubbing pads. They are made of copper and when you do this you need to make sure you get the copper ones. There are well marked. I then pull the strands of the copper off and use those to wind around a copper bore brush which works the same as the lewis tool does. I have had good luck using this and kroil. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55