Tell us how you do it
SloopJohnB
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: New Henry BB exterior maintenance

Post by SloopJohnB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm

tractortad wrote:
SloopJohnB wrote:
ditto1958 wrote:Nothing is the same stuff as Ballistol. Ballistol is a cleaner and a lube. It works well on metal and wood. Is a mild solvent, smells good, non-toxic. Was invented by the Germans prior to WWI as a do-all product for guns, leather harnesses, and as a topical wound treatment.

It's goo stuff.
I learn something every day. I did not know that Ballistol is non-toxic. I thought all CLPs were pretty much the same. My G96 IS toxic, even to the point of a warning that "may be fatal if swallowed and enters airways". While G96 does a good job, there is no question that you inhale the fumes. I think I will be tossing it and getting some Ballistol.

Thanks
Hey Sloop - I wouldn't throw your G96 out just yet - I'm looking at my can of Ballistol right now and it's probably got most of the warnings on it that your G96 has i.e. danger - combustible; breathing hazard - use in well ventilated areas/direct inhalation may be harmful or fatal; harmful or fatal if swallowed. It does say it is skin safe/no carcinogens, but doesn't say anything about using it for wound treatment.

I use Ballistol frequently to clean/lube my firearms and I think it is an excellent product, but the fumes can be overwhelming sometimes - it's not something you want to use in the living room...
Yeah I rethought it after posting. I have decided however to ONLY use the G96 outdoors, to quit sniffing it (it smells kind of good), and to use rubber gloves.
0 x
"Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

Diesel Boats Forever -- USS Blueback (SS 581)

SloopJohnB
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SloopJohnB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Ziggidy wrote:About a month ago I contacted Henry about the same thing. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for owning a Henry. The pores of the wood are sealed and therefore, it’s not necessary to use anything but if you must, Pledge would be a good choice.

Flitz(or similar) is for brass components only and blued steel surfaces can be cleaned with Hoppes, followed by a light coat of gun oil."

Since then I have used Flitz and it is good, very little needed. I also tried a polish "Palmer and Bailey" and was happy with it. I usually use Ballistol because the wife hates the smell of Hoppes. When I am done, I'll wipe a little all over, including the stock. I also keep it in a sock.

Have fun.....be safe
Thanks for the reply, especially regarding their answer on the wood.

I also contacted Henry this morning and talked to a young lady. For the brass, she mentioned some products like NeverDull, Peek, and FLITZ. I really don't think she grasped what I was after, as I believe those products should be reserved until you have some brass finish issues. unless I am wrong, I suspect that the Big Boy brass receivers have some kind of clear coat on them, like most brass articles do today. That will prevent tarnishing for many many years. If you start using polishes on that clear coat, you will wear it out pdq.

She was not helpful with regard to the wood. So .......... as I too keep my gun in a sock (which has a silicon component), I am going to do nothing but wipe the gun down and keep it in the sock.
0 x
"Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

Diesel Boats Forever -- USS Blueback (SS 581)

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

SloopJohnB wrote: I also contacted Henry this morning and talked to a young lady. For the brass, she mentioned some products like NeverDull, Peek, and FLITZ. I really don't think she grasped what I was after, as I believe those products should be reserved until you have some brass finish issues. unless I am wrong, I suspect that the Big Boy brass receivers have some kind of clear coat on them, like most brass articles do today. That will prevent tarnishing for many many years. If you start using polishes on that clear coat, you will wear it out pdq.

She was not helpful with regard to the wood. So .......... as I too keep my gun in a sock (which has a silicon component), I am going to do nothing but wipe the gun down and keep it in the sock.
Good idea on the sock - that's the way I store mine. The lady at Henry is right - there is no clearcoat on your Bigboy - that's why a lot of guys use Flitz/Neverdull to shine up the brass and then put a coat of rennisance(sp?) or other wax on it to prevent it from showing fingerprints or tarnishing. For the wood, I just use Ballistol.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:29 am

As a rust prevenative I have found nothing better than Brownells #2. It is not a lubricating oil or a general gun cleaning solvent. It's sole purpose is to prevent rust/corrosion.
0 x