Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Copper Fouling - Fact or Fiction?

Tell us how you do it
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Copper Fouling - Fact or Fiction?

Post by Headhog » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:54 pm

Here's and interesting take on copper fouling in a bore. Watch it and decide what's right for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQaxIlQukU

Paul
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Copper Fouling - Fact or Fiction?

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:14 pm

Hey, I know that guy, personally, through lots of correspondence over the years. He's the real deal. He spent his career as a police armorer.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:45 pm

I liked that. Thanks for posting Paul. I see a few more of his I will be watching
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:34 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:14 pm
Hey, I know that guy, personally, through lots of correspondence over the years. He's the real deal. He spent his career as a police armorer.
I've been a fan of GunBlue for sometime now. I figure he has forgotten more than most folks know.

Paul
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:36 pm

Hes a smart old man. I enjoy listening to him. Most likely he has forgotten more about guns than i will ever even learn.... a sharp old man he is!
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 pm

I just use the ol' Ballistol to remove the carbon if it needs it.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 pm

Many people spend way too much time on the bore and ignore all that gunk that accumulates in the receiver/slide, etc., and the gas system in some semi-auto's. The bore is the last thing I worry about.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:14 pm

I agree Gunny; it is best that the whole firearm is clean. As for the bore, I typically run another cleaner down the bore (Hoppes No. 9), after using a copper cleaner, just to make sure that any active agent is minimized. Most times, I run a patch with oil down the bore, after any cleaning also. I am by no means a gunsmith. Is copper a big concern? Maybe not. To me, things work better and last longer, when they are clean. It is something that has been instilled in me, while being in the Navy.

When we pushed a button on a fire control system, we expected a torpedo, missile or projectile to leave the ship. And, we expected it to hit its target. In addition, it costed millions of dollars to build a ship. So, we tried to keep everything in working order for as long as possible, when may require cleaning and preservation. Being the case, a ship typically would be in service for 20-30 years. Even to this day, I try and keep all tools and equipment in good condition. Like a lot of things, take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:42 am

GFK wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:14 pm
I agree Gunny; it is best that the whole firearm is clean. As for the bore, I typically run another cleaner down the bore (Hoppes No. 9), after using a copper cleaner, just to make sure that any active agent is minimized. Most times, I run a patch with oil down the bore, after any cleaning also. I am by no means a gunsmith. Is copper a big concern? Maybe not. To me, things work better and last longer, when they are clean. It is something that has been instilled in me, while being in the Navy.

When we pushed a button on a fire control system, we expected a torpedo, missile or projectile to leave the ship. And, we expected it to hit its target. In addition, it costed millions of dollars to build a ship. So, we tried to keep everything in working order for as long as possible, when may require cleaning and preservation. Being the case, a ship typically would be in service for 20-30 years. Even to this day, I try and keep all tools and equipment in good condition. Like a lot of things, take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.
Speaking specifically to coppering, this has been the subject of much debate & metallurgical analysis that generally agrees with this authors opinion. That being that coppering will fill in what needs filling in until an equilibrium is attained in the bore. Equilibrium being that state of most consistent performance measured by muzzle velocity, pressure, and accuracy/precision, and is the desired plateau in ELR competition. That said, any performance plateau will gradually degrade over hundreds or thousands of rounds and require 'refreshing' (a cautious removal of excess coppering).

For us mortals, it is a much less important aspect of shooting for fun and food. For me, worrying about coppering is akin to worrying about the spin of the earth for anything under 1000 yds. It's just not a variable I have any concern with. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:46 am

Nothing is wrong with that. We each probably have our own pet peeves. As for copper in barrels, my Henry is the only one that does it to any degree for my to notice or have any concern. I suspect that the barrel is more rough than others. My plan is to keep shooting and cleaning. My hope is the barrel will get smoother in time. Is there any great impact, probably not. I just prefer not to have copper setting in a barrel for months. If all goes well, I rotate through shooting my firearms, at least once a year. This year, I was behind on the Henry a few months. Probably because, I bought another firearm. Nonetheless, I hope to shoot them all, at least once a year.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).