Tell us how you do it
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Copper Fouling - Fact or Fiction?

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:42 am
……worrying about the spin of the earth for anything under 1000 yds. It's just not a variable I have any concern with. :)
Hey this is a big problem for those of us shooting Standard Velocity. :)
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:42 am
……worrying about the spin of the earth for anything under 1000 yds. It's just not a variable I have any concern with. :)
Hey this is a big problem for those of us shooting Standard Velocity. :)
You obviously need a longer barrel. :lol:
3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:18 pm

That is some eye opening information. Thanks Paul.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:12 pm

I clean my rifle bores at the end of deer season. I foul it with a couple of shots to check zero and never clean the bores till deer season is over.......Unless they get wet.........Read what bench rest rifle shooters do.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm

Leverguns are not benchrest guns. Benchrest shooters are so anal about stuff they make me sick. Just my .02 cents worth
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:20 pm

Like a lot of things, the best approach is probably somewhere in the middle.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 am

Read up on galvanic corrosion. Copper in contact with iron.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:41 am

Ha ha ha.... never an end to any debate. Im lucky as life is simple for me now.... im old enogh my guns will outlast me (with or without copper fouling) im shakey enough that with or without fouling, they probably shoot better than me anyway.... bullets are expensive enough that i will never shoot enough rounds through any one gun to wear another barrel out anyway.... so i can travel on out of the shooting world in the enjoyment phase of shooting.... just point, attempt to aim, pull the trigger, and see what happens ..... it is interesting to hear of the technical points of weaponary.....i dont have enoigh actual brain pan to debate stuff, and im too lazy to research a topic really deeply, but i do enjoy this site cause there is lots of interesting useful information discussed.... its sort of like attending a college class on an audit basis... just show up and listen to the presentation... and then no homework or tests... what a great deal!!!
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:52 am

while I have no doubt that with some barrels it can be an issue, I've never had a problem with copper buildup in any of our rifles or revolvers .... the only one we own that generates really high muzzle velocities is chambered for 300 Weatherby Magnum .... over time its fired untold hundreds of rounds and as of the last time I pulled the trigger, its accuracy is far better than mine .... while for me copper buildup is a nonissue, a lead buildup is a major concern .... so much so that I will not fire them from any rifle or revolver
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:47 am

I have a Savage that is chambered in .223. I started cleaning it with a bore snake instead of a brush. After a while accuracy started to suffer. I cleaned it with a brush, and started getting strips of copper out of the bore. It took quite a while to completely remove the copper. Afterwards, accuracy was back to snuff.

I have a Weatherby in 30.06 that builds up copper near the muzzle. It completely plates the end of the bore. I've never let it get too bad, so I can't say whether or not it will continue to build up, but the plating covers more and more area the more rounds I put through it before cleaning.

My take is that copper fouling is a problem in some barrels, perhaps not that many, but it does exist. I've experienced it.

I also take exception with his contention that copper pipes don't corrode through. I had to re-plumb the supply in my house because the copper pipes in the slab started corroding through and leaking. And yes, that was in multiple places.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya