Tell us how you do it
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Help Finding this Cleaning Rod

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:12 pm

Excellent gunsmith box!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:13 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:57 pm
I'm still trying to think of something crafty to do with the few bear claws I have.🤔
Hat band?
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:29 pm

markiver54 wrote:
I'm still trying to think of something crafty to do with the few bear claws I have.🤔
A necklace... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:35 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:29 pm
markiver54 wrote:
A necklace... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

RP
Kind of a Croc Dundee look! :lol:
I'm not sure I would wear it though... :? :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:45 pm

A look at the process:

The basic frame. The frames for the drawers were cut and laid in each slots, cut to fit THAT slot and numbered for the slots. Note the grooves cut to accept the runner rails. The drawers were glued up and set square with band clamps and left to dry overnight. Bottoms IN Place in the dadoes.

drawer construct 001.JPG

runners - I cut the runners from oak scraps from the scrap bins. When the time came, I put glue on the runners, put the drawers in the slots and ran the runners in, then shoved spacers between the runners and the back of the slot to force them against the drawers. I let them sit in place for ten minutes then carefully pulled them out and applied clamps and let them sit for about two hours. Each runner got about three pinner nails just in case. Years later, still sound.

7.jpg

worked the walnut to make the drawer fronts, smooth as glass.

drawer fronts kit.jpg

Started on the drawer fronts, Careful to work this so that EACH drawer was even and level and the grain worked up the front of the box.

started the front.jpg

Finished the fitting and attaching the front. I took my time and it took three LONG sessions with breaks and meals.

finished.jpg

Stained the fronts, this was always my favorite part, they payoff.

stained.jpg

Peek in the top, where the heavy, thicker tools went. This section is really full now as more tools came along.

1.jpg

A look in a couple drawers

6.jpg
9.jpg
Of course, I have worked at getting all the drawers arranged and rearranged over the years. More tools, better organization.
It was nice to finally have things right at hand and not go looking. I have had a couple folks try to buy this box, or try to "order" one. They really didn't want to pay for the custom box... when they found out the cost of the wood and the time involved. :o I pointed them at Orvis. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:38 pm

I know that you have far more value and quality than the Orvis box. By the way how long did your patient lady have to wait for that jewelry box?
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:56 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:38 pm
I know that you have far more value and quality than the Orvis box. By the way how long did your patient lady have to wait for that jewelry box?
Wait? Miss Tina? My friend, she had asked for and gotten a Curly Cherry Jewelry Box YEARS before.... :D This was before we had scored all the exotic wood from the nice lady whose cabinet maker father had passed. We went to the Woodcraft in Richmond where I had slowly added tools and equipment for the past couple years and the owner grinned when I mentioned wanting something special to make her a jewelry box. He said he had gotten a "Beautiful Piece" of curly cherry in and was holding it for something special. He gave me a special price on the board, just under $100 at the time.

I made the entire box in the shop, including the trim around the edges and the dark walnut trays inside. It's about 8" on the sides, 13" across, and 9" high. I used the bandsaw to shape the tray that fits inside, and then hand sanded it. Even the rails the tray sits on were free formed and hand sanded. Sorry there aren't more pictures. The grain in this box looks like flame...

curly cherry jewelry box 1.jpg
curly cherry jewelry box 2.jpg
Curly cherry jewelry box 03.jpg

A female officer I worked with saw the pics I was sharing with my patrol partner and asked what something like that would cost. I told her that if I was to make one to sell, (at that time) it would be around $300. The wood and brass hinges had cost well over $150 and I had 20 hours or more of labor invested. Honestly, I should ask closer to $400. The female officer, a friend of mine, was nodding in agreement with me. Her sister who had stopped by to drop off her lunch, sarcastically said, "I can buy a nicer box than that at Kmart for fifteen dollars."

I just told her that's where she should shop.

It was folks like her that caused me to stop selling my work. Ask for a custom project, agree to the cost, and pay the half down. Once the project is complete immediately began to pick it apart to try to bring down the price.... :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:08 pm

😥Some people s#$k.
That box is beautiful and worth any price you put on it. Beautiful sold wood, hand crafted.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:35 pm

The female officer later bought a copy of another box I made for Tina out of Australian Lacewood. Didn't flinch at the $150 price. The hardware alone was $60. The wood was $40. I really didn't make much after consumables. (Sandpaper and such...)

She wanted the box for her keepsakes from her dad, who passed the month before. His keyring, wedding ring, driver's license, etc.

Edited to add the pics of the box:

Front:

lacewood box front.jpg

Rear:

lacewood box rear.jpg

and open:

lacewood box open.jpg

I wish I had better pictures of the box, but it was WAY back in the early 90s and the camera wasn't all that good. Lacewood is difficult to work with as it contains a lot of oils, and you have to clean it with solvent at the glue joints and clamp it tight to get a good bond if you aren't going to use screws, nails, or other fasteners. I wanted the clean rounded corners. The grain looks like snakeskin ...

Waxed and buffed it has a beautiful shine to it. She loved the box. She wanted the same hinges we used on Tina's box, heavy solid brass hinges, and a brass latch. I used a special tool to remove that little glue bleedout inside... and put three coats of beeswax on the box.
2 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:55 pm

I love your gun box and Miss Tina' jewelry box. I a fan of lacewood memorial box for her Dad's things. You are right about how much more work lacewood takes to get perfect finish.

Muddy Waters68
1 x