Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question about reassembly after cleaning

Tell us how you do it
Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Question about reassembly after cleaning

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:56 am

Hi all, new, first-time owner of a Henry BB Carbine in 357/38. I'd like to give it a good cleaning before I take it to the range for the first time. I assume this is the move vs. taking it out once then coming home to break down/clean it. I've watched several videos detailing the process for removing the lever, bolt and ejector, but I have one question about reassembly. The very helpful video I watched was light on details when it came to actually reinserting the lever.

My question is pretty simple - What am I looking for/feeling for as far as properly reinstalling the lever and restoring the action's functionality?

I understand how to reinstall the ejector, and I get that once the ejector is back in, you'll insert the bolt such that the ejector is in the "track." I'm just unclear on what the proper step(s) is/are for getting the lever set in correctly. Could anyone describe this in a bit more detail for me? Thanks in advance.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Question about reassembly after cleaning

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:59 am

When inserting the lever slide it in at about a 45 degree angle and align the screw hole in the lever with the hole in the receiver. You’ll find that it goes together almost automatically and is really pretty simple. Most difficult part is the ejector and since you are confident with that you will be fine.
3 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:50 am

Thanks - yeah, the ejector seems pretty straightforward, albeit a bit difficult to maneuver, but having a track for it to fit together makes sense. I just haven't seen a good picture or clip showing where/what the "inserting" portion of the lever is supposed to fit into, so I wasn't sure if there was something comparable in terms of stuff aligning or fitting together with the lever. Wasn't sure if the bolt had to be in a certain position or anything like that.
0 x

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:52 am

Sorry, one other question while I have ya - what do you personally use on the outside of the barrel and for the blued steel receiver to keep them rust free? Just some Hoppe's oil lightly applied to a rag and wipe down? Ballistol?
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:18 am

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:50 am
Thanks - yeah, the ejector seems pretty straightforward, albeit a bit difficult to maneuver, but having a track for it to fit together makes sense. I just haven't seen a good picture or clip showing where/what the "inserting" portion of the lever is supposed to fit into, so I wasn't sure if there was something comparable in terms of stuff aligning or fitting together with the lever. Wasn't sure if the bolt had to be in a certain position or anything like that.
Yes the bolt should be partially open. How much, you'll have to experiment with, but about the same as when you removed the lever. Here's a pic that should help. Note the positions and relationship of everything - hammer, bolt, lever.

Last edited by GunnyGene on Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:35 am

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:52 am
Sorry, one other question while I have ya - what do you personally use on the outside of the barrel and for the blued steel receiver to keep them rust free? Just some Hoppe's oil lightly applied to a rag and wipe down? Ballistol?
Oil will work, but many folks ( including me) will also use Renaissance Wax on exterior surfaces. It blocks moisture and oxygen, and is widely used by museums to preserve all kinds of things, including firearms. Here's a link to buy. A small can (7oz) will probably last you a lifetime.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2227541091/
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:58 am

Appreciate the replies all - I think I'm all set
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Most of mine sitting in the safe at this very moment have little to no oil on the outside surfaces. :shock:
But there is a dehumidifier in there. ;)

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm

Just to be clear - The top of the lever that goes into the receiver should sit insight the circled part is what you're saying, yeah?
here.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm
Just to be clear - The top of the lever that goes into the receiver should sit insight the circled part is what you're saying, yeah?

here.PNG
Maybe it's just the orientation of the pic, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Maybe you could take another pic that shows wider view. The lever is the last thing you install after the rifle is otherwise completely assembled.
0 x