Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Question about reassembly after cleaning

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:30 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:23 pm
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm
Just to be clear - The top of the lever that goes into the receiver should sit insight the circled part is what you're saying, yeah?

here.PNG
Maybe it's just the orientation of the pic, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Maybe you could take another pic that shows wider view. The lever is the last thing you install after the rifle is otherwise completely assembled.
Ah yeah, not totally obvious. It's a screencap pulled from an otherwise excellent breakdown tutorial - The left thumb/fingers are gripping the ejector on the side of the bolt as it sits in the bolt "track" - Pretty sure is a top down view of the bolt and the coinslot looking opening is where the lever inserts or sits in to work the bolt.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:23 pm

First question: as Gunny stated, bolt should be partially inserted when reinstalling the lever. I typically place mine far enough end to hold the extractor in place.

Second question: I typically wipe down my firearms with a silicone rag; most have some type of oil. So, it works well. Even without a silicone rag, wiping a firearm with a rag period, seems to do some good. I had went for years (about 17) just wiping a firearm with a rag. They stayed at room temperature though. Don't know if that played a major factor.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:30 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:32 pm
Just to be clear - The top of the lever that goes into the receiver should sit insight the circled part is what you're saying, yeah?

here.PNG
Maybe it's just the orientation of the pic, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at there. Maybe you could take another pic that shows wider view. The lever is the last thing you install after the rifle is otherwise completely assembled.
Ah yeah, not totally obvious. It's a screencap pulled from an otherwise excellent breakdown tutorial - The left thumb/fingers are gripping the ejector on the side of the bolt as it sits in the bolt "track" - Pretty sure is a top down view of the bolt and the coinslot looking opening is where the lever inserts or sits in to work the bolt.
I don't know what video's you've been watching, but the only reliable Henry maintenance videos are on the Henry site:

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... -boy-h006/

For the H006 model BB's there's one sequence of 7 tutorials in the above link. Scroll the video menu right and left to get to the Disassembly and Assembly ones. He's using a .44 mag, but everything is the same for the .357( and the .41mag which I have). That said, he's doing it the hard way by installing the lever early in the process, imho.

Also, as anyone here can tell you, you don't have to completely disassemble the firearm just to remove the bolt. Just take the lever out, cock the hammer and slide the bolt out. The ejector will usually fall out also, so you have to put that back ( a tiny dot of gunsmith glue - grease - on the little nipple helps keep it in place) before you reinstall the bolt, and then the lever.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Not_Invented_Here
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Not_Invented_Here » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:19 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:29 pm
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:

I don't know what video's you've been watching, but the only reliable Henry maintenance videos are on the Henry site:

For the H006 model BB's there's one sequence of 7 tutorials in the above link. Scroll the video menu right and left to get to the Disassembly and Assembly ones. He's using a .44 mag, but everything is the same for the .357( and the .41mag which I have). That said, he's doing it the hard way by installing the lever early in the process, imho.

Also, as anyone here can tell you, you don't have to completely disassemble the firearm just to remove the bolt. Just take the lever out, cock the hammer and slide the bolt out. The ejector will usually fall out also, so you have to put that back ( a tiny dot of gunsmith glue - grease - on the little nipple helps keep it in place) before you reinstall the bolt, and then the lever.

Thanks again for the reply - video for reference. It's nothing complicated - he's just explaining how to remove the lever, bolt and ejector before reinstalling everything, purpose being to enable cleaning from breech to muzzle. Sorry for my confusing explanation, again - got it figured out I think, and the links you provided are super helpful and confirm what I thought I was seeing.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:22 pm

Not_Invented_Here wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:19 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Not_Invented_Here wrote:

Thanks again for the reply - video for reference. It's nothing complicated - he's just explaining how to remove the lever, bolt and ejector before reinstalling everything, purpose being to enable cleaning from breech to muzzle. Sorry for my confusing explanation, again - got it figured out I think, and the links you provided are super helpful and confirm what I thought I was seeing.
Ok, great and you're very welcome. We'll be waiting on your range report - don't be shy. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:49 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Not_Invented_Here wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:

I remove the bolt and clean the H009 every range trip but how often should the entire trigger assembly and hammer be cleaned? I get in as far as I can between picks and q-tips and lube the same way but feel lazy, just afraid of the reassembly.

The H004 gets a total breakdown but it’s the only way to access the bore on the 22 with a rod.

Are the H009 and H012 similar in trigger and elevator assembly the same?
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:39 pm

Luv the lever wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:49 pm
GunnyGene wrote:

I remove the bolt and clean the H009 every range trip but how often should the entire trigger assembly and hammer be cleaned? I get in as far as I can between picks and q-tips and lube the same way but feel lazy, just afraid of the reassembly.

The H004 gets a total breakdown but it’s the only way to access the bore on the 22 with a rod.

Are the H009 and H012 similar in trigger and elevator assembly the same?
I don't own an H009 so can't comment on your question. I suspect they are similar, but possibly some differences. Suggest you give Henry a call or email: https://www.henryusa.com/contact-henry-repeating/
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:59 am

I have had my H009 since 2017 and have only taken the trigger assembly out once. Getting out was easy. Aligning it for the screw to go back in, was a challenge for me. Like you, I use cleaning swabs and CLP to clean that area. So far, so good.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:22 pm

GFK wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:59 am
I have had my H009 since 2017 and have only taken the trigger assembly out once. Getting out was easy. Aligning it for the screw to go back in, was a challenge for me. Like you, I use cleaning swabs and CLP to clean that area. So far, so good.
The 30-30 was a breeze, the 22 has a lot more parts! The 22 needed it, the H009 wasn’t to bad.
1 x