Rust? on a new Henry Big Boy All Weather

Tell us how you do it
the1nonly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Rust? on a new Henry Big Boy All Weather

Post by the1nonly » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

I purchased my first Henry rifle, I got the big boy all weather side gate chambered in 44 Mag/Spcl. Bought it from a different city and I waited a long time to receive it and get cleared for it since I'm in California. I open the box and find out it has already been shot; it bothered me because it has to be cleaned before shooting and I bought it "new". I did not make a big deal about it since I waited so long for it. A week goes by and I decided to clean it, when I open the magazine tube I find the magazine tube has what looks like surface rust. I'm debating on contacting henry or deal with the job myself. It sucks knowing they shot my rifle before sending it and rust was probably accumulating who knows where. I cleaned everything else to prevent that form happening, and it looks fine, but I'm getting the urge to strip it down all the way and check every single part with some fine wool. Any tips? I haven't found a good guide on a complete disassembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Rust? on a new Henry Big Boy All Weather

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. Id probably deal with the rust on my own depending on how severe it was. Im not sure what you are saying as far as it has been shot. But there are all test fired at the factory.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 pm

See the Maintenance Video series for the H006 here. It doesn't cover the side gate specifically, but that's not a big deal.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... -boy-h006/
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:06 am

First, welcome! Second, like BigAl stated, most firearms are test fired. Third, a cleaning is not a bad idea. But, I probably would not use steel wood, unless you are planning to refinish the area. Contacting Henry is not a bad idea either. I can understand wanting a new item to look and work like new. Who knows, a good cleaning with a oil treat wipe (like Rem Oil Wipes or Tetra Gun Wipes) may be all that is required. Since Henry has been standing behind its product, it will probably resolve the issue, if it happens to get worse. Yet, it is better to address some things early, like you are doing. Because, rust is one of them.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

the1nonly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by the1nonly » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:59 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 pm
See the Maintenance Video series for the H006 here. It doesn't cover the side gate specifically, but that's not a big deal.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... -boy-h006/
Nice! Thank You.
0 x

the1nonly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by the1nonly » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:08 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:02 pm
Welcome to the forum. Id probably deal with the rust on my own depending on how severe it was. Im not sure what you are saying as far as it has been shot. But there are all test fired at the factory.
Im sure they test fire all of their rifles, but I can imagine they don't ship them dirty with carbon and brass residue all over. The manual indicates to clean it before shooting because they ship it pretty wet for shipment and storing purposes.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:26 pm

They dont clean them thats why they tell you to do it before using it. Its not just Henry all the rest do it the same way
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:59 am

Welcome from the Land of Sugar!
Jake
1 x

the1nonly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by the1nonly » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 pm

I appreciate the replies and help :)

An update on the rifle: I decided to remove the surface rust myself. I did not to use the fine steel wool. I used fine bronze wool and brush with some rust inhibiting grease. I plugged the side gate to prevent the action from getting dirty while I cleaned it. It looks way better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:21 pm

Good to hear. Welcome to the Henry Forum.
1 x