All weather lever action side gate .44 mag/spl

Tell us how you do it
SByram
Tenderfoot
United States of America

All weather lever action side gate .44 mag/spl

Post by SByram » Tue May 03, 2022 5:01 pm

Greetings,
First time posting as I am now a member of the Henry family. I have a take down to clean question if anyone can provide any assistance. I read the manual, watched the videos on the Henry web site and looked around you tube and I ended up being more confused. The manual just says to "clean it", and the videos do not demonstrate the H012 side gate. It looks like there are two methods for a field strip just for a basic clean. One way I have seen a Henry field stripped for cleaning is to remove the buttstock, remove everything from the receiver and finally get to the bolt. Another method is to remove the one screw for the lever, remove the lever then the bolt simply pulls out, which allows for the removal of the ejector. I called customer service to help clarify the take down process for a simple clean and whoever answered the phone seemed just as confused then said the bolt does not need to be cleaned but I could watch the videos on the web site and find whichever rifle is the closest to the model I have.

I would sure appreciate any advice on a basic cleaning of my new rifle. Thank you all!
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: All weather lever action side gate .44 mag/spl

Post by Cofisher » Tue May 03, 2022 5:35 pm

The basic clean is as you described second. It is adequate for almost all situations. There may come a time for full disassembly.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

SByram
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SByram » Tue May 03, 2022 5:40 pm

Thanks much! Glad to hear option 2 gets it done.
1 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Tue May 03, 2022 9:59 pm

I never disassemble a lever gin for route cleaning........IF....I dropped it in a creek yes then I would do a full disassembly......The more you take something apart and put it back together the sloppier it gets.
0 x

SByram
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SByram » Tue May 03, 2022 10:15 pm

I agree with you 100%! Thanks!!
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 04, 2022 10:28 am

Agree with the opinions above. My Marlins and Henrys have only had the bolt pulled for cleaning. Note that with some rifles you will need to press the hammer down slightly to remove and replace the bolt.
1 x

SByram
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SByram » Wed May 04, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks for the heads up, just want to make sure im doing it correct.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Not even necessary to pull the bolt out every time especially if you only shoot a few rounds thru it. Use a bore snake for a quick clean of the barrel.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 04, 2022 2:18 pm

I agree with the others, situation dependent. I use all three methods for cleaning. I view a firearm as a tool: take care of your tools and they will take care of you. But, I do not like removing the trigger group on my Henry; so, I have done that only once. The screw was a challenge for me to get aligned. However, this is not the case with my Marlins. Even so, I remove the lever and bolt, if I have shot a box or two. If not, I may run a patch down the barrel. I have found that removing the butt allows for greater access for oiling the trigger group. Therefore, I remove the butt on occasion. Lately, the trigger has been smooth though. Being the case, I have not removed the butt in awhile. Over time, you will determine what works best for you. In the meantime, happy shooting!
Last edited by GFK on Wed May 04, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

SByram
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SByram » Wed May 04, 2022 4:11 pm

Thanks all, I sure appreciate your knowledge!
1 x