Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1911 lube.....

Tell us how you do it
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

1911 lube.....

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:15 am

Don't know if there are other 1911 pistols with ported barrels but I find my latest one, the BBR, seems to run with just plain ol' Ballistol.
Yes there are a ton of other lubes out there that might be slicker or tackier to stay in place but the ported barrel seems to get things dirtier around
the locking lug and even the slide grooves. I found a tiny piece of copper bullet plate in one of the slide channels along with some carbon of course.
The Ballistol seems to keep the dirt in suspension and it is easy to clean and lube in critical areas.
If I could find the early design non ported barrel for it I would swap it out but none to be had right now. Just have to keep it clean after shooting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 1911 lube.....

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03 am

I have always used military grease for all of my semiautomatics that required grease.
6CE501F2-4BEC-49AF-9F0B-526F9982100C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:55 am

I have been using the lube I bought from Wilson Combat years ago. It comes in a syringe and the long sharp pointed tip lets you apply it only where you want it, even inside slide rails. It stays put until you remove it when you clean the gun the next time. No dribbling onto clothing or running into the holsters.

I bought a half dozen when I ordered them years ago. A little goes a long way. I think I still have four in the packages in my supply drawer. You can see the syringe laying in the cleaning gear cabinet in my armorer's box in the pic below.

2.jpg
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:21 pm

I use a local grease and a little CLP.

Never had any problems.
0 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm

I've been lubing my 1911's the same way for 50 years and it's worked well for me. After cleaning I just use a good quality gun oil. The points I lube are; very slight rub of oil around where bushing sits on the barrel, small drip on barrel link, front of the frame rails, one small drop on each side of the rear slide rails and a little rub on the slide stop pin. Then assemble and put one drop of oil at the top front of the chamber where it contacts the slide. I work the action a few times and them wipe off any excess - usually at the back of the frame/slide by the hammer. That is good for 500 rounds. I don't drown my 1911's in oil. It's just not necessary.

Paul
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:37 pm

Exactly. Why I like wilsons grease. It stays where you put it, and a little dab will do yah.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:35 am

if it slides, it gets grease. I have: tw 25, lucas, shooter's choice, and tetra. All of them work fine.

If it rotates it gets oil. I have: shooters choice, fp 10, clp, lucas. I buy these because I like the little oiler bottles. When they are empty, I fill them with 30w detergent oil. No, I am not kidding. 30w detergent has been my go-to oil since I started shooting.

I typically clean every 1000 rounds via a wipe down and re-lube. I'll deep clean a gun every couple-three thousand rounds. the lube staying in place is key to my choice to use it.

Ballistol has a very low heat tolerance. I have avoided it because of that reason. I know some like it, or kroil, or any of the other liquids in that class. It isn't my favorite.
1 x

tcpip95
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by tcpip95 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:51 pm

I’ve used MobilOne oil and MobilOne grease on all my firearms for the past twenty years with no problems.
2 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:39 pm

Lubriplate No 10 Motor assembly grease or Permatex engine assembly lube.
Very easy to clean and slicker than snot.
0 x