Getting together --- Henry wood & RemOil

Tell us how you do it
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Getting together --- Henry wood & RemOil

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:36 am

Good Day, Henry Folk,

This is one of those plain "I don't-know-the-answer Qs." After I shot my Henry SGC this week, I did my usual rifle clean. When I finish the clean, I always put a light coat of RemOil over all the metal parts. I use the RemOil pads, which are convenient, but a little slippery to easily handle. At times I get some RemOil on the Henry wood, but wipe it off pretty quickly.

Does anyone know if the RemOil is bad for the wood? I do have the Henry wood protected with my Renaissance applications, but wondering how these RemOil "splashes" might impact the wood? I love the wood on my Henry, and think it looks great! So want to be sure to care for it correctly.

Thanks for your sage help on this Q.
Have a great 3-day weekend!
0 x

~Пока~

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Getting together --- Henry wood & RemOil

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:52 am

I have used RemOil and other oil, WD40 etc. through the years on all my rifles including the two Henry's and I have nothing to protect the stocks. Occasionally I wipe them off with orange oil furniture polish. I have even, maybe not a good idea, wiped them down with the oily rag from the RemOil. Now, I don't mean to apply any amount of oil on the wood but I have never had problems with any of the finish or the wood being affected by oil.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm

RemOil will only damage laminate stocks and even then the wood is okay, its the glue that doesn't like oil.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:38 am

Okay, SH. Between Dutch's comment and yours, seems that an "unplanned splash & wipe" of RemOil will not seriously damage the Henry wood.
However, to be honest, I don't get it when you said "its the glue that doesn't like oil." What does that mean?
Sir Henry wrote:RemOil will only damage laminate stocks and even then the wood is okay, its the glue that doesn't like oil.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 am

PT7 wrote:Okay, SH. Between Dutch's comment and yours, seems that an "unplanned splash & wipe" of RemOil will not seriously damage the Henry wood.
However, to be honest, I don't get it when you said "its the glue that doesn't like oil." What does that mean?
Sir Henry wrote:RemOil will only damage laminate stocks and even then the wood is okay, its the glue that doesn't like oil.
Henry stocks are solid wood and not laminated so no problem. But on stocks that are laminated and glued together they tend to warp and separate. On a separate note I have some WWI and WWII rifles that have been cleaned and lubed for decades. The oil eventually will turn the wood dark, almost black around where the oil leaked over to the wood.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:04 pm

A small amount of Remoil getting "on' the wood will not do any harm but should be wiped off. Any type of gun oil for lubrication should not be allowed to enter open grain of the wood like when it drains out of the action into the front of the stock in the tang area. If allowed to penetrate the wood it will make the wood turn dark and over a period of time it will get spongy and usually split in the tang area. I have refinished stocks that were loaded with oil draining back when sitting in safes that were a headache to get the oil out. Occasional small amount getting on the sealed finish and then wiped off would not harm the wood in my opinion. I knew an old guy that wiped his whole gun metal and wood with diesel fuel. He then asked me if I would refinish it for him. I told him to start shopping for another stock and then keep the diesel fuel in his truck and not on his 722 Remington.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:42 pm

In Nam we used diesel to clean our M16's. It's all we had.
1 x

Leonardo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leonardo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:53 am

As stated, oil will discolor the wood if allowed to sit and soak in.
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 am

I use Ballistol to clean and lube my guns. The wood on them also gets wiped with a soft cloth that's been misted with Ballistol. After a bit my wood stocks all begin to look gradually better and better. The Ballistol not only does not damage the wood, but in fact brings out the figure in the grain.
0 x