Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mares Leg

mtsheron
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Mares Leg

Post by mtsheron » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 am

New to the forum but not weapons and firearms. I have watched the series Wanted: Dead or Alive being a Steve McQueen fan and find the ole Mares Leg very intriguing and interesting. I see loads of comments from all over that it's not practical; it's not accurate for the most part; why would anyone want this rifle and so on.

I do not think the weapon obviously was intended as something "practical" in the common accepted sense. However, if used in the manner it was meant is a great little camping or brush gun for the purpose it was intended.

I do think to mod it with a stock you have taken away what was meant as a hip shooting rifle cut down for a small frame to deal with. All in all, a very nice conservation piece and when used properly close range can be quite a persuader for sure.

Glad to be on the site finally here.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Mares Leg

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:03 pm

Welcome from the TV, Oregon!
mtsheron wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 am
New to the forum but not weapons and firearms. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am

Welcome, from Tenn. the Western part. :D

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

SGC
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SGC » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 pm

I have one in .22lr and achieve a cheek anchor with the upper butt plate and mine is accurate. Might not work with the centerfire calibers. I did add the hi-vis front site.
0 x
H001TLP-H012MR-H001TMLP-H001ML

Iron Horse Cowboy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Iron Horse Cowboy » Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am

mtsheron wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 am
New to the forum but not weapons and firearms. I have watched the series Wanted: Dead or Alive being a Steve McQueen fan and find the ole Mares Leg very intriguing and interesting. I see loads of comments from all over that it's not practical; it's not accurate for the most part; why would anyone want this rifle and so on.

I do not think the weapon obviously was intended as something "practical" in the common accepted sense. However, if used in the manner it was meant is a great little camping or brush gun for the purpose it was intended.

I do think to mod it with a stock you have taken away what was meant as a hip shooting rifle cut down for a small frame to deal with. All in all, a very nice conservation piece and when used properly close range can be quite a persuader for sure.

Glad to be on the site finally here.
Howdy,
My experience is if I use the "cheek hold" when shooting my .44 mag Mare's Leg, the weapon, not only becomes practical, but a viable defense or hunting weapon. I can't hit much of anything with my ML when slinging lead from the hip. But, with the "cheek hold" (putting the butt-stub along my cheek and aiming like a rifle), well, I can hit consistently human-size torso targets at 50 and 75 yards. In self defense ranges, I am even more confident and accurate. The ML is quick to maneuver and quick to be on target and is very accurate.
1 x

SuperSixEvo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SuperSixEvo » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:32 pm

Ended up with the .410 Axe mares leg. Nice little shotgun and affords me the ability to shoot birdshot as well as .41 caliber slug from it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:04 pm

I don't own an ML, but I do shoot some specialty pistols that don't have a lot of recoil up close, like a rifle, similar to what I did when shooting silhouette back in the day. Using that hold, I can get some very rifle like groups with the pistols, so I have no doubt I could do the same with an ML. I certainly don't consider my specialty pistols to be impractical, so I doubt I'd consider an ML to be impractical. I rarely see them for sale in my area, but I would like to try one, some day. Looks like a lot of fun.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:11 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:04 pm
I don't own an ML, but I do shoot some specialty pistols that don't have a lot of recoil up close, like a rifle, similar to what I did when shooting silhouette back in the day. Using that hold, I can get some very rifle like groups with the pistols, so I have no doubt I could do the same with an ML. I certainly don't consider my specialty pistols to be impractical, so I doubt I'd consider an ML to be impractical. I rarely see them for sale in my area, but I would like to try one, some day. Looks like a lot of fun.
You can shoot mine when the ice age is over.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:02 pm

Thanks, Gene. That could be awhile, though.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:50 pm

Sure you can hit your target with a Mare's Leg just have to work it a bit. I used a push and pull method with a single point sling to get a steady hold but now I just shoot it without the sling and do about as well. Shooting from the hip is fun too!

75 yard shots on the gong https://youtu.be/KY-_F5Om1Jg?si=QJc7z_oPbD3WEI7E

Shooting from hip https://youtu.be/yU84i_N4N8A?si=5noaaBj-EAc5O3ED
0 x