Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Henry video --Mare's Leg in .22LR & .22WMR

PT7
Drover
United States of America

A Henry video --Mare's Leg in .22LR & .22WMR

Post by PT7 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:42 pm

After reading SH's post, "Range Report: SGC's and Mare's leg," I went to read again about both rifles on the Henry web site (I like to real a lot!).
I've not looked often at the Mare's Leg page, but when I did today, found an interesting video of a fellow shooting this rifle/pistol.
There was one interesting comment the fellow made, which somewhat answered a question I've had, "How do you shoot this rifle/pistol with such a shortened stock?" He made his comments starting at about 1min 37secs.

Here's the Henry link. Just for everyone to enjoy some views of shooting a Mare's Leg. :)
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/mares-leg/
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: A Henry video --Mare's Leg in .22LR & .22WMR

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 15, 2016 10:53 pm

I think sticking it so far out front doesn't make it stable. This is me shooting mine. Notice I do get a good cheek weld and hold it like the buttstock was normal size.
Attachments
M'sL n Montana.JPG
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 15, 2016 10:56 pm

I don't just shoot Henry Mare's Legs. I made this one from a Charger. Double click on the picture and it gets rid of the distortion.
Attachments
Charger Mare's Leg.JPG
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun May 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Sir Henry, Bring me up to speed on your Charger. Was this originally a handgun or did you have to pay ATF a tax? Sorry I'm not schooled on that model Ruger.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 16, 2016 12:13 am

Travlin wrote:Sir Henry, Bring me up to speed on your Charger. Was this originally a handgun or did you have to pay ATF a tax? Sorry I'm not schooled on that model Ruger.
The Charger is sold as a pistol so no paperwork is needed.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 16, 2016 12:23 am

Thanks
0 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:11 am

Henry Rifles,if you're listening....you really need a new video!

I'm sorry, but the guy in the video looks awkward holding and shooting the Mare's Leg in that way.
He looks as if he's afraid of it. That, and his inability to hit consistantly at what? 10 feet? is embarassing. And hey...how about a few hip-shots? I suppose that I really should cut him some slack though, due to his multiple misfortunes of not only being much younger than me, but much taller and way slimmer as well. Being more of a short guys toy, He simply may not fit the gun.

As far as how to best shoot a Mare's Leg, I'm in complete agreement with our very own beknighted Henry, our sartorially resplendant, white haired gentleman from Washington. He knows how a Mare's leg is held for accuracy...and was kind enough to attach a photo demonstrating it, to this thread. Note especially, both his deep concentration and perfect shooting form, along with the physical traits common amongst all of us perfect Alpha Male shooters. 8-)
4 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:22 am

albin25 --- Agreed on your suggestion that a new video would be the way to go. Maybe SH could produce one and send to Henry RAC?!? ;)

BTW, I bet the Henry liaison to our Forum, DanAtHenry, will eventually read this thread whenever he again logs in. So Henry will then hear!

albin25 wrote:Henry Rifles,if you're listening....you really need a new video!

I'm sorry, but the guy in the video looks awkward holding and shooting the Mare's Leg in that way.
He looks as if he's afraid of it. That, and his inability to hit consistantly at what? 10 feet? is embarassing. And hey...how about a few hip-shots? I suppose that I really should cut him some slack though, due to his multiple misfortunes of not only being much younger than me, but much taller and way slimmer as well. Being more of a short guys toy, He simply may not fit the gun.

As far as how to best shoot a Mare's Leg, I'm in complete agreement with our very own beknighted Henry, our sartorially resplendant, white haired gentleman from Washington. He knows how a Mare's leg is held for accuracy...and was kind enough to attach a photo demonstrating it, to this thread. Note especially, both his deep concentration and perfect shooting form, along with the physical traits common amongst all of us perfect Alpha Male shooters. 8-)
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 am

The way I shoot gives me a good nose/thumb weld in addition to the cheek weld. I move my head forward on the firearm so that my nose touches my thumb which crosses over the tang. This is similar to how most people shoot an AR15 with their nose touching the charging handle. I've done this on .22LR, .22WMR and 38/357 firearms without the kick bothering my nose. I own six Mare's Legs and one I've put 20,000 rounds down it and maybe 10,000 in the combination of the others.

I've shot the M's Lgs offhand, from the hip, benchrest, kneeling, and even prone.

In defense of plinster I've seen others shoot the Mare's Leg the same way he does. Most can't hit the side of a barn but I had one older gentleman that was our state pistol champion shoot it and he shot it like plinster. He was the only person that has shot better than me and it was his first and only time shooting one. Granted I've only had a couple dozen people shoot it to compare too so its not like its a big comparison.

So I don't think there is a right or wrong way to shoot it. But I might add the people that shoot it like a rifle look cooler.
0 x