Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peg leg

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Peg leg

Post by SingleAction357 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Would anybody be interested in an even shorter mare's leg? Most SA revolvers on the market come in varying sizes so why not our beloved mare's leg pistols? A 3 or 4 shooter that can quick reload and load through through the chamber could be advantageous for the savvy cowpoke or plains indian, but since they aren't around no more it can make ya look like a badass at the cowboy action match and serve you well at the range having fun.

1 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Peg leg

Post by SingleAction357 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Added advantage is it's legal for Oklahoma carry if your gun is less than 16 inches, most mare's legs available on the market are not. Since the mare's leg market essentially belongs to Henry at this point they'd be able to corner and dominate this niche before anyone else.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:47 pm

What about the Rossi Ranch Hand?
img_1926.jpg
img_1926.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 7395 times
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like an interesting way to own more Henrys but I for one don't have a use for it. At that point you are running pretty low on wood to hold onto.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 am

JCN wrote:Looks like an interesting way to own more Henrys but I for one don't have a use for it. At that point you are running pretty low on wood to hold onto.
In .357, .327, and all the rimfire calibers I could see it being controllable. Maybe a specialty pistol for oddball hunters or something to look cool with your SAA.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:49 am

Sir Henry wrote:What about the Rossi Ranch Hand?
img_1926.jpg
I like those, but they are out of make sadly. They would be cool shortened up like this to, and since it's not tube loading from the front you can suppress it if you go through the proper legal means.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:53 am

JCN wrote:Looks like an interesting way to own more Henrys but I for one don't have a use for it. At that point you are running pretty low on wood to hold onto.
I'm thinking the same thing. If you make it any shorter why not just buy a revolver?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 pm

Interesting concept, for sure. I see two issues, though. One, given that the standard 357 ML with its 12" plus barrel holds five, I think you're probably looking at maybe one in the tube going that short on the barrel, two at best. Loading through the chamber on a lever gun is tricky. Easy to jam. Have done it. Two, going that short on both ends doesn't give you much leverage for cocking. Have to agree with the above that it can't do anything a revolver couldn't do, better. I do like the way you stretch things with your imagination, though. Fun!
3 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Interesting concept, for sure. I see two issues, though. One, given that the standard 357 ML with its 12" plus barrel holds five, I think you're probably looking at maybe one in the tube going that short on the barrel, two at best. Loading through the chamber on a lever gun is tricky. Easy to jam. Have done it. Two, going that short on both ends doesn't give you much leverage for cocking. Have to agree with the above that it can't do anything a revolver couldn't do, better. I do like the way you stretch things with your imagination, though. Fun!
Well, while the mare's leg is generally held to be a fiction that is well loved it is known that Natives used to cut down rifles to produce "blanket guns". You see mostly flintlock single shots but every so often there's a chopped up lever gun with no sights that was surely in Native hands. These are a little bit better given they still have a sighting system. I would expect roughly a 2 shot capacity, now if you could rig something similar with detachable mags you can solve the capacity issue.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Did someone say detachable magazine?
DSCN8153.JPG
DSCN8153.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 7364 times
1 x