Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Optics for a Mare's Leg

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Optics for a Mare's Leg

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 am

I have a .22 magnum mares leg and it already has a scope rail, I was wondering if anyone can recommend optics for this firearm o' mine.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Optics for a Mare's Leg

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 am

I have one and put a Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm Rimfire on it. They aren't made anymore but do make it in a 33mm.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact- ... 1-2-7x33mm

The scope sets on vintage Weaver T-USA scope rings. Please note Weaver rings are made both in the USA and China. They both have the same part numbers but the China made rings are much softer. It may take some searching to find the ones made in the USA.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 am

Have been thinking going ML of some kind, but when and if I do, mine will likely wear a red dot, not a scope, should I decide to go optical. No eye relief issues with a red dot - you can hold it close or further out and much easier and quicker to line up a red dot than a scope.

Good point on the Weaver rings. The cheap end stuff is very soft.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:31 pm

I have four M'sLegs and two are scoped and two have peeps. I moved the peeps to the receiver to give a longer sight radius. The radius is now about where it would be on the Classic.
DSCN6280.JPG
DSCN6280.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 7096 times
Out of the four of them I very seldom shoot the scoped ones.
DSCN6274.JPG
DSCN6274.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 7096 times
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 pm

I have had my 22lr Mare's Leg set up at different times with the stock sites, a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot, a vintage weaver rimfire scope from around 1960. A 4x 28 bushnell scope vintage 1970's. And by far the most fun I have shooting it is with the stock sights. I don't have to think about it I just point and shoot. The red dot is a lot of fun as well for getting shots off quickly at a moderate range of 15 yards or so. But if I wanted to be at minute of squirrel at 20 yards or more I would put the scope back on it.
3 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 pm

I feel the same way RS. But try a Skinner receiver peep as it will increase the sight radius making it a lot more accurate.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 am

North Country Gal wrote:Have been thinking going ML of some kind, but when and if I do, mine will likely wear a red dot, not a scope, should I decide to go optical. No eye relief issues with a red dot - you can hold it close or further out and much easier and quicker to line up a red dot than a scope.

Good point on the Weaver rings. The cheap end stuff is very soft.
I have a rimfire, so I don't think a scope will be bad for my health. If I had a way to have both a scope and red dot I'd love that.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:58 am

Sir Henry wrote:I have four M'sLegs and two are scoped and two have peeps. I moved the peeps to the receiver to give a longer sight radius. The radius is now about where it would be on the Classic.
DSCN6280.JPG

DSCN6274.JPG

just curious .... based on the fact that all I know about a M'sLegs comes from watching episodes of Wanted Dead or Alive, Josh fires from the hip and does so rapidly ..... I can't help but wonder how you would sight a scope on one of them .. :?:
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I have four M'sLegs and two are scoped and two have peeps. I moved the peeps to the receiver to give a longer sight radius. The radius is now about where it would be on the Classic.
DSCN6280.JPG

DSCN6274.JPG

just curious .... based on the fact that all I know about a M'sLegs comes from watching episodes of Wanted Dead or Alive, Josh fires from the hip and does so rapidly ..... I can't help but wonder how you would sight a scope on one of them .. :?:

Put the end of that abbreviated not stock on your cheek. This works for the irons to probably even with .357 mares legs, but I wouldn't put the .44 magnum on my face.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I feel the same way RS. But try a Skinner receiver peep as it will increase the sight radius making it a lot more accurate.

Sir Henry, have you ever tried a tang sight on a mares leg?
0 x