Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need high comb on Golden Boy

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Need high comb on Golden Boy

Post by John E Davies » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 pm

Here is a suggestion.... rather than add a tall cheek rest, swap out the scope for a 1x red dot sight. That will be much easier for a young lad to see and he won't have to clamp down his face onto the stock, since there is no parallax and unlimited eye relief. It would allow that "head up" shooting position. I have two of these and for the money (sale price) they are hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy- ... 648&sr=8-2

You can wait until the price drops, you should be able to get one for about $60. Sign up here and they will send a price alert:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00200E0HM

That would allow him to enjoy his legacy. As he grows and shows interest in shooting, consider getting him a rifle more suitable for distance work, say a CZ 457 bolt action gun. The Golden Boy in .17 HMR is a flat shooter for sure - he won't have to worry about holdover - but I bet the accuracy is average, at best.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:30 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 pm
...... the head held high and proud was still a commonly used shooting position, much of that inherited from the muzzleloader days. In this style of shooting, the head was not supposed to be bent or lowered to the stock or the upper body bent downward in any way to meet the gun as you raised it to your shoulder. This was considered to be bad form. Thus there was no such thing in this style of shooting as a cheek weld. In fact, the face didn't make contact with the stock at all. Rather the stock design was intended for the gun to place the sights in the shooters line of sight without having to bend or lower the head, keeping the back ramrod stiff and straight. Then, too, snap shooting - bringing the rifle up quickly and firing immediately - was very commonly used for hunting and this style rifle fit that type of technique........
I never knew that. It changes my perspective.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:10 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 pm
As for that excessive drop on the Henry Golden series, keep in mind that this is not a design flaw on Henry's part. It's Henry staying true to the tradition of some of those early lever guns. In the mid 1800s, the head held high and proud was still a commonly used shooting position, much of that inherited from the muzzleloader days. In this style of shooting, the head was not supposed to be bent or lowered to the stock or the upper body bent downward in any way to meet the gun as you raised it to your shoulder. This was considered to be bad form. Thus there was no such thing in this style of shooting as a cheek weld. In fact, the face didn't make contact with the stock at all. Rather the stock design was intended for the gun to place the sights in the shooters line of sight without having to bend or lower the head, keeping the back ramrod stiff and straight. Then, too, snap shooting - bringing the rifle up quickly and firing immediately - was very commonly used for hunting and this style rifle fit that type of technique.

I knew that the head held high style of shooting was the norm during era when armies in block formation stood and fired at each other .... I wasn't aware that it held on until the mid 1800's .... thanks for the info .. 8-)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:57 am

I suspect that style of shooting took a big hit in the Civil War when troops behind barricades kept their heads low. Just guessing, of course. I think it also had its fans in the muzzleloading days on the frontier. If you look at some of those original Pennsylvania and Kentucky flintlocks, they had a lot of drop at the comb by our current standards.

Personally, I think Henry would sell more brass models if they "modernized" those models to have the same stock design as the steel models, but that's just my opinion. I'm not expecting a call from Henry anytime soon, asking for my advice. :)
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:20 am

Henry made a Brasslite receiver cover for the H001 however it wasn’t very popular. This cover is on a Frontier wearing a Malcolm scope. This setup isn’t very comfortable to shoot but it’s still fun.
78B5E107-04FC-4F99-A983-E67AF3230438.jpeg
You can see in this picture the tangs are different so the stocks are not interchangeable.
A70BE9CF-B4A8-40AB-A4E8-659DEDFF2BE4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Bruce in WV
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bruce in WV » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Excellent info about head position from the old days. Here's a picture of Annie Oakley showing how it was done.

Image215BC485-8FA4-45B8-8230-01925716B101 by Bruce, on Flickr
1 x

Bruce in WV
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bruce in WV » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:09 pm
Here is a suggestion.... rather than add a tall cheek rest, swap out the scope for a 1x red dot sight.
Putting a red mini red dot sight, like one of the Holosuns or RMRs, would be a piece of cake using the rear sight dovetail with an adapter, low and easy to see. There are even less expensive options, more appropriate on a light use rifle, like what you linked to. Save the scope for another rifle he can pick on his own. Good suggestion...
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Great pic, thanks Bruce.

Hey, if you want a dovetail scope mount to add a mini red dot, check out the Skinner site,http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html under Dovetail Scope Mount. I bought a couple and it works great with something like the Burris Fastfire or the very affordable Bushnell TRS -25. Here's the Skinner with the Bushnell TRS-2 redo dot on a couple of 22s

2 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Welcome to the Henry forum Bruce. Thinking the red dot may be the way to go. Do like your project with that rifle. Very nice.
0 x