Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leupold scopes

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Leupold scopes

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm

I called a guy I know from gun shows about some Leupold scopes. He always has a big selection of used Leupolds. I was looking for fixed 12X scopes and he said he had several. He said he also had fixed 24X and 36X and one 45X. All were Leupolds. I called my friend I shoot with and told him about the higher powered ones and he said he would go with me and have a look. He bought all three of the high power ones. He got a great buy on the 45X with the leveling devise on it and Leupold steel rings. It is a 30 MM tube and the other were 1" tubes. He got the 45X for $800 and new they were around 16 or $1,700. I took a 3-9 Leupold tactical model with me to trade. NIB that had the duplex changed to the Leupold tapered hair. I ended up with two very nice older Leupold 12X. One has the very fine cross hair and the other has the fine duplex. Both are gloss finish being older models. I also got a fixed 6X Leupold gloss finish in excellent condition in the deal we made. He took the Tactical on trade and gave me $350 for it and I paid $400 difference for the three scopes. I am very satisfied with my deal. A couple CZ Grand Finales may just get 12X scopes on them. :D
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Leupold scopes

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 pm

I really miss those Leupolds with the gloss finish. They look great on so many guns. Sounds like you both did very well. That's one of the things I like about Leupolds. I never have a problem selling or trading a Leupold. Easiest scope brand there is to move. Many times I've sold one before I get much past the first table a gun show.
2 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Leupold is all I use anymore. Sounds like you guys got a good deal!
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 pm

A year or two ago, I bought a NIB Leupold gloss 6X at a gun show (a steal), without a clue about what I'd do with it. So, when I stumbled upon a Henry single shot .243 with great wood in a local gun shop, I found a home for it ;) .
3 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 pm
A year or two ago, I bought a NIB Leupold gloss 6X at a gun show (a steal), without a clue about what I'd do with it. So, when I stumbled upon a Henry single shot .243 with great wood in a local gun shop, I found a home for it ;) .
Very lucky to find a NIB gloss 6X. Six power Leupolds are one of my favorite scopes. Years ago I bought the El Paso built Weaver steel tube 6X scopes. The gentleman I got the scopes from earlier this week also had a gloss Leupold 7.5 power that was like new. If it would have been an AO model 7.5 I would have had to brought it home with me. Most folks don't remember the 7.5 AO and there was also a 8X with AO and a 10X AO. I once had the 10X AO and the seldom seen 16X AO. I have owned at least twenty 12X Leupolds since the very early '70's. The 16X had such fine cross hairs you could lose the aiming point in the grass when shooting gophers out west in Montana. Wasn't a very good varmint scope for that gopher shooting but awesome on target shooting. Like NCG said they are a very easy item to sell. The fixed power may be the hardest to sell. I am not crazy about variable power scopes but that is about all there is left to buy and that is why I shop the used market. Plus they usually are a steal. ;) :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 pm

I'm with you on fixed power scopes, bandit. Grew up using them on so many guns and I shot just as well with them as the variables. To this day, I've shot groups at 50 yards with a good 4x Leupold as groups I've shot at 12x. I have to laugh when I read posts by "experts" that the minimum you need to shoot serious groups 50 yards is 18x or 24x. They've called me a liar when I've showed them groups I've shot with a measly 4x. Sorry, magnification is no substitute for shooting skill.

Here's one from last year.

6 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 pm

Once again NCG, you are spot on. Excellent comment.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 am

Man. I did not know scopes cost that much. The one that I have came with the rifle (a Marlin that I paid about $500 for), and it is a 3-9x. I guess if I was shooting father than 200 yards, I probably would have considered a scope with greater magnification. So far, it has worked. Since it came with the rifle from the manufacturer (maybe cost about $40), I wondering how good it is now?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 am

historically, all of the rifle scopes I have purchased are Nikons .... sadly, that is no longer possible and I've got to make up my mind where to start looking .... my first thought has been Leupold but that is far from etched in stone .... that's a market I've been out of for so long that I really don't know what options are out there
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks, Tom.

I'm in the same boat JEBar. Nikon was my go to brand of scope for so many years, adding in Leupolds when I could afford them. Fortunately, I still have plenty of spare scopes to last for awhile, but if I had to start shopping for new scopes, right now, not sure where I would go other than Leupold.
2 x