Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weaver J Series Scopes

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Weaver J Series Scopes

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 11:29 pm

These are the two vintage scopes I've been shooting with the last two days. The bottom one is from WWII to the mid 50's and the top one is from the mid 50's to mid 60's. That first J series scope doesn't have the crosshairs that stayed in the center. This is the first rifle I've had it on where its centered and shooting straight. I have the Weaver catalog from 1960 and the top one is in it with just a slight difference in the adjustments. They are listed as being a 150 yard scope for..........well read the picture. :)

These are both labled as J.C. Higgins but Sears and about dozen other companies had their name on them too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Weaver J Series Scopes

Post by JEBar » Fri May 27, 2016 8:02 am

Sir Henry wrote:That first J series scope doesn't have the crosshairs that stayed in the center.

:?:
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 am

JEBar wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:That first J series scope doesn't have the crosshairs that stayed in the center.

:?:
You must be a young one. The first scopes the crosshairs were fixed to the scope and you adjusted the entire scope. Then the next generation of scopes the tube was stationary and the crosshairs moved. Read the top of page two in this link. Lyman called the new technology Perma Center.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/cont ... nScope.pdf
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Sir Henry wrote:You must be a young one.
as we say down south, Bless your heart !
Sir Henry wrote:The first scopes the crosshairs were fixed to the scope and you adjusted the entire scope. Then the next generation of scopes the tube was stationary and the crosshairs moved. Read the top of page two in this link. Lyman called the new technology Perma Center.
info appreciated .... I don't recall ever buying a scope that didn't have external adjustments .... back when I was getting into hunting we lived in the mountains of NC ... an average shot on a bear, dear, boar was way less than 50 yards, in most cases 20 or less .... my eyes were better then and didn't have a scope on any of our rifles or pistols .... after moving to the eastern third of NC in the 80's, I was a member of a deer hunting club that hunted farm fields. several a square mile or more .... that's when I transitioned to mounting Nikon scopes on our hunting rifles .... fast forward to today and I have no interest in a rifle without a scope
0 x