Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Boone & Crockett vs Duplex Reticle

edub3535
Tenderfoot

Boone & Crockett vs Duplex Reticle

Post by edub3535 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:39 pm

So I am about to pull the (proverbial) trigger on a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10.4mm scope to put on my Long Ranger .308 that I will be picking up in a few days. Before I order I want to ask if anyone has an opinion on the Boone & Crockett reticle vs the Duplex. I have used the Duplex on other Leupold scopes and have never had an issue. Just want to know if it is worth spending the extra money. I will likely not be taking long shots, most of my hunting is in the woods out of a treestand. Thanks in advance!

(P.S. If anyone is in the market for a new scope OpticsPlanet.com is running a 10% code (TREATS) for all the things they sell.)
0 x
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
Henry Long Ranger .308
Henry All Weather .45-70
Henry Golden Boy .22LR (Technically it belongs to my 12 year old son but its in my safe)

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Boone & Crockett vs Duplex Reticle

Post by Henry88 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:31 am

I don't know anything about the scopes, but congratulations on getting a Long Ranger in .308.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:22 pm

edub3535 wrote:So I am about to pull the (proverbial) trigger on a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10.4mm scope to put on my Long Ranger .308 that I will be picking up in a few days. Before I order I want to ask if anyone has an opinion on the Boone & Crockett reticle vs the Duplex. I have used the Duplex on other Leupold scopes and have never had an issue. Just want to know if it is worth spending the extra money. I will likely not be taking long shots, most of my hunting is in the woods out of a tree stand. Thanks in advance!

(P.S. If anyone is in the market for a new scope OpticsPlanet.com is running a 10% code (TREATS) for all the things they sell.)
That Leupold scope caries a hefty price. You do understand your paying a large portion of the price for the Leupold name. If your not tied down with buying the Leupold scope, check the Bushnell line. I have a Bushnell Trophy Rifle Scope 4-12x40mm that I bought and it does everything that I need it to do and I didn't spend allot of money on it. It has the Multi-X Duplex Reticle. Right now, it's mounted on my Henry Big Boy chambered in 44 Mag. With this scope and my handloads....I can hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards. I can also use that scope on my 308 Win bolt gun if need be.

If you use the duplex reticle and a rangefinder from 100-300 yards....the extra $130 for the Boone & Crockett reticle is just giving your money away. But...since you said you likely will not be taking a long shot....why spend the extra cash. And since your not dealing with bullet drop compensation (BDC)....why pay for the reticle in the first place. In my opinion....a duplex reticle is fine from a 100 yards....up to 300 yards for a 308 caliber round. Just zero your scope at 100 yards, then 200 yards and than at 300 yards and record your elevation adjustments for each yard and you will do fine when your hunting. If anything....the spend the extra cash on a good rangefinder.

Bushnell Trophy Rifle Scope 4-12x40mm
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/757894 ... 40mm-matte
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:56 am

Weaver makes a great scope with a turret compensator for distance. Those are the easiest to figure out for me.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater