Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Low-Power Rifle Scopes

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Low-Power Rifle Scopes

Post by HenryFan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:52 am

It appears to me that if someone wants to buy a quality, low-power rifle scope in these current times, that someone may find frustration.

Since I hunt at short ranges, never more than 100 yards, usually 50 yards or less, I prefer a low-power scope. A 2.5X, a 3X or a 4X fixed power scope is my preference but they just can't be found these days, at least not new, and not manufactured by the brands I prefer, most always Leupold.

I guess I am in the minority since the obvious preference is for high-power variable scopes with electronics and high-tech gizmos I just don't want.

I know that low-power variable optics are available but again, I don't need them but I have a few because I can't find what I prefer.

A year or two ago, when Ruger announced that the Marlin line of 336 lever action rifles would return to production, I sent Leupold an email suggesting they reintroduce a line of 4X fixed-power scope with a gloss finish to complement classic lever action rifles. I opined they would sell well but I never received a reply. I guess that South Carolina may be too far from Oregon for an email to get there.

I am always on the lookout for a quality low-power scope at a gun show but they seem to be rare.

I wonder if you folks bought them all.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Low-Power Rifle Scopes

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:15 am

I wish. Anytime I walk in the door at a gun show with a gloss Leupold in my hand, I rarely get more than 50 feet before an offer to buy.

I still like fixed power scopes, too. One advantage of a fixed power scope that people overlook is the wider field of view at the same power, compared to a variable. They're lighter, too. I recently found a Leupold 2.5x Scout scope, but it's matte, not gloss. The scope only weighs 7 ounces, which is similar to a lot of tube red dots.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:35 am

North Country Gal -

I'm not surprised about offers made to you to buy a gloss-finished scope. I know Leupold doesn't offer such now and I am not aware of other quality manufacturers who do.

I recently called Leupold and asked about the Leupold 2.5X20 lightweight scope and was advised they are no longer in production. Even though they are listed in Leupold's on-line catalog.

I think the only fixed-power scope Leupold currently offers is a 4X rimfire scope but that may be history too for all I know.

Some time back, Zeiss made a 4X fixed power scope (at least I remember such) but Zeiss discontinued them and they are just not to be found now.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:32 pm

I agree that for hunting, a 4x is more than sufficient, especially in woods hunting. My only beef with the older scopes is that they're big.
There are some compact airgun scopes that might work for you, except that they wont have that gold ring on the objective bell. Some rimfire scopes may work too, and the parallax is more appropriate for <100 yard shooting. Even a shotgun or crossbow scope could work, but they often have reticles that can be distracting.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:36 pm

Much as I hate to say it, I have to assume that Leupold dropping gloss scopes is likely a matter of sales and that likely coincides with shooters going more and more to matte finished rifles. Matte is in, I guess.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:40 pm

Check Hawke scopes. They have 3-4 fixed 4x scopes. Vantage series.
0 x

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:04 pm

A 4x Leupold is all I need on my 6.5.
20220814_170231.jpg
20220814_104532.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:56 pm

John M wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:04 pm
A 4x Leupold is all I need on my 6.5.

20220814_170231.jpg

20220814_104532.jpg
Beautiful rifle and scope. What lake is that?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm

Rifletom -

Good information. Thanks
1 x

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:33 pm

Photo taken on the hill above the western shore and just south of the settlement on Lake Okareka which is one of the Rotorua lakes.
1 x