Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scoping A Henry Single Shot Rifle

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Scoping A Henry Single Shot Rifle

Post by HenryFan » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:33 pm

I made the decision today to buy a second Henry Single Shot, this one in .223 Rem., and ordered it from an on-line vendor. I think a 3-9X40 scope would be a good choice for this rifle, at least a choice I am comfortable with.

Will a scope with a 40mm objective clear the rear sight using the one-piece Talley mount sold by the Henry?

Thanks in advance
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Scoping A Henry Single Shot Rifle

Post by 5shot » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:43 pm

I just noticed this otherwise would have answered sooner. The rear sight on my H015 .223 is mounted farther forward on the barrel than the sights on the .357's and .44 so you might be just fine with a 3X9 without removing it. I have a 2X7 Leupold on mine.

I have one of the Talley one piece mounts sitting in a drawer somewhere around here. I much prefer the flexibility of mounting position for eye relief and height with a rail and scope rings.

BTW...I'm really pleased with the performance of my SS .223. That's it on the left.
Long Rifles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:06 pm

I don't own one, so no clue...but,
5shot, would you care to elaborate on the SS's in the above photo? please...
and thanks for sharing. :D

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:32 am

Starting from the left....223 with 2X7 Leupold, .357 with Vortex 3 min dot, .357 with 1.75X5 Burris and .44 with 2.5 Leupold. The second .357 was purchased with the intention of having it reamed to .357 Max but it shoots so well I just never got around to it. After looking for Max brass I just may leave it as it is.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:01 pm

5shot wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:43 pm
you might be just fine with a 3X9 without removing it.
5shot - I hope so. I really don't want to remove the rear sight if at all avoidable.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:03 pm

HenryFan That's why I prefer to use a rail and rings. I like to mount optics as low as possible but in order to clear the hammer I think you'll probably need medium height rings (depending on how bulky the eyepiece of the scope is) and you will also need a hammer extension. I've been using the Henry/EGW bases and the Grovetec hammer extensions...either single sided or Ambi. I've gone with Warne rings. Hopefully some of this helps.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:29 pm

In my original post on November 23, I asked for comments about rear sight clearance of a Leupold 3-9X40 scope on a Henry single-shot rifle. It is in .223 Rem./5.56 NATO caliber. blue steel finish. Thanks to all who responded.

Today, I finally collected the kit I needed to put the rifle together. As stated above, it is a recent manufacture Henry single shot rifle. I ordered a Talley one-piece ring mount from Henry Pride as well as a Grovetec Hammer Spur. The objective clears the rear sight with enough room that it could easily clear with a 50mm objective. The rear sight is folded forward but even it was upright, there would have been sufficient space for a 40mm objective.

A hammer spur is a necessity. I don't think it would be possible to cock the hammer without it.

A cheek pad to raise my cheek high enough for a cheek weld is also a necessity, at least for me.

These are random comments that may be of some help to a forum member contemplating a Henry single-shot rifle purchase.

I am biased but I think it is a good looking combination.

Tomorrow is range day.
1 x