Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old School

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Old School

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:14 am

I guess I am more old school on some things even more than I thought. I was cleaning dust from one of my storage cabinets that has a large number of micro-fiber cloths for detailing cars and motorcycles. Under neath the cloths I found a dozen 1" tube scopes that are all fixed power. There is 4X from Nikon, Leupold, Swift and some Japan made Tasco's. Most are also gloss finished that is rare on new scopes now. These scopes are in like new condition and I have tested all for function so that is why I stored them away. My rifles with fixed powers on them out number the ones with variable scopes by a wide margin. They have some fixed 4X Leupold and a few 6X leupold's and probably 5 or 6 fixed 12X Leupold's. There is one rifle with a fixed 16X Leupold which is a fairly rare Leupold model. I bought most of these scopes for really good prices at shows from vendors I am familiar with and they treated me good on the scopes because they know most folks won't buy fixed power over a variable and makes a sale a little harder. I just sent back my first fixed power 12X Leupold in all the years I have been buying them and that dates back to the very early 70's when 12X Leupold's were around $85 new. Leupold no longer repairs the old scopes so they replaced it with a 6-18X40 Freedom with side focus and 30 MM tube. It is the model CDS with Tri-MOA.
I am not into this type of multiple line reticles. I never even removed the plastic cover from the box. It will be going up for sale for a $100 less than the going price they are selling for and I will shop for another fixed power 12X. So I admit I am really old school on my scope choices. Take care and enjoy your week end. bandit
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Old School

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:35 am

We are all beginning to sound like our grandfathers. :D
4 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:44 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:35 am
Hey, I resemble that remark,
I have 4 grandsons, one granddaughter, with a second to be born here in a couple weeks. :D

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:49 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:35 am
ain't that the truth .... we have 5
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 am

When the matte finish scopes first came out I resisted them with a passion. I was in the process of building a collection of Marlins and only wanted gloss scopes on them. I find that now I have come to terms with the matte finish scopes and now am more partial to them over gloss. Of course it depends on the rifle’s finish too. Oh, the times they are a-changing.
4 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 am

There is some rifles that just look better with gloss finished scopes. Old Remington BDL rifles and older Weatherby MK 5's to name just a few. There is still a demand for old gloss scopes for that very reason. Gloss Leupold's bring crazy money on E-bay now. I do admit that the low sheen satin finish guns look great with the matte scopes. I am old school on my scope choices more about fixed power than having the gloss finish.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:38 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 am
There is some rifles that just look better with gloss finished scopes. Old Remington BDL rifles and older Weatherby MK 5's to name just a few. There is still a demand for old gloss scopes for that very reason. Gloss Leupold's bring crazy money on E-bay now. I do admit that the low sheen satin finish guns look great with the matte scopes. I am old school on my scope choices more about fixed power than having the gloss finish.
That’s a good point on your fixed power scopes. I don’t believe I even own a fixed anymore. I had an old Luepold 4x gloss on a Ruger M/77 30-06 for probably 30+ years and that combo took a whole lot of deer in it’s time.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:12 pm

Guess I'm showing my age, too, because I still have a soft spot in my heart for gloss scopes and fixed power scopes. Oh, I have nothing against the new stuff, though, I do NOT like ballistic reticles. A simple duplex of the right thickness for the job at hand is all I use.

By the way, some of those Japanese made Tasco scopes in the Tasco Pro series were actually were mechanically and optically outstanding.

And I still think the 4x Leupold Rimfire as the perfect scope for classic rimfire rifles like my Belgium Browning T-Bolt, which I still have and will never sell.
6 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:59 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:12 pm
Guess I'm showing my age, too, because I still have a soft spot in my heart for gloss scopes and fixed power scopes. Oh, I have nothing against the new stuff, though, I do NOT like ballistic reticles. A simple duplex of the right thickness for the job at hand is all I use.

By the way, some of those Japanese made Tasco scopes in the Tasco Pro series were actually were mechanically and optically outstanding.

And I still think the 4x Leupold Rimfire as the perfect scope for classic rimfire rifles like my Belgium Browning T-Bolt, which I still have and will never sell.
That is a thing of beauty! I wouldn't let it go either.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:54 am

I was in a LGS yesterday and was surprised how many gloss scopes they had for sale. This is a pawn shop and the gloss scopes I saw were all used but nice.
1 x