Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scoped my Henry!

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Scoped my Henry!

Post by ruhler » Fri May 07, 2021 5:38 am

Hi
Got offered this scope since Im looking for a lightweight scope, but cant really find much information about it, lenses/coatings, eyebox/eyerelif, looking at the serialno its suffix is M=2004, its matte black, and has the duplex recticle not much more information than that. As a comparasion with a Leupold Scandinavian 3-9x40 VX-IIc made in 2000? is it about the same or better?

Leupolds modelnames and differences between series is hard to understand.

What is a fair price/value? it has the originalbox and are in good condition?
Last edited by ruhler on Thu May 20, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Leupold Vari-X 3-9x33 Compact

Post by John E Davies » Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 am

Sorry I can’t comment on those versions, but I have an older one .... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362323063 ... and it is OK. I use 1” Warne QD rings and it goes onto my BBX .44 Mag for range use only. Eye relief is fine, about 3.5 to 4” if I recall correctly. I really like the compact size and the EER version is way cool on a scout rifle, but mine does not have an adjustable objective and the duplex reticle is not going to be much good unless you just want to punch paper at a fixed distance. 7x is adequate for targets at say 125 yards with a big caliber, you can see hits. It would be fine on a deer at 200 yards. I do like 2x for close up. Because of the small tube and objective it is not very bright, but on a sunny day it is fine. It is a pretty thing and looks great on a lever gun or a classic single shot like a Browning 1885, which it used to be on....

3364AB8B-F6F9-44DC-85EC-F432F6486A0B.jpeg

I don’t know if that helped, what rifle and caliber, and what is the intended use? Mine was $250 many years ago and I would pay maybe half that for a pristine used one with original box. There are many counterfeit scopes today, that is not a problem with old models.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John E Davies on Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri May 07, 2021 7:44 am

Thanks for the info, intended use is for a Henry AW 44mag to bring on my woodswalk/foresting/hunting. Coming to think about it I would probably benefit more from a 1.5-5x20 scope. I know about those counterfeit ones around, almost fell for it a week ago, but when asking for serialnumbers and asking for a closer look the seller not answering questions and dissapeared offline.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri May 07, 2021 8:10 am

A 5x scope with a 20 mm objective is going to be dim under trees. How about a 1x red dot? That is my very favorite on a 10/22 for snap shooting and blasting stuff at 25 yards. What is your price limit? You need big glass in shade.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 am

Well im into this thought to have a lowmount 1" lightweight scope on my Henry, but perhaps your right a reddot would be better, never really think about that, I will look into that aswell.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri May 07, 2021 10:54 am

Read this …. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/bushnell-trs25-review/

I have one that I bought on sale at Amazon for just $45 and I quite like it. It is a decent optic in its price range.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00200E0HM

If you want quick detach, you can buy an aftermarket cam lever for this mount for around $15.

John Davies
Spokane Wa
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am

we have a red dot on our Ruger Redhawk 44 mag .... finding the dot takes some getting used to .... with a cheek weld on the stock of a Henry 44, that should be simplified .... in selecting a red dot, make sure you can see it at the range you anticipate shooting on a bright, sunny day
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 07, 2021 11:44 am

I've used red dots and low power scopes a lot over the course of the years and like them both. Pros and cons for both, as with any sighting system. If we're talking specifically woods hunting, though, one advantage to a low power scope that you really need to consider is the ability of a scope to see back in the shadows, something no red dot can do. Even at 2x, the difference, here, is pronounced. I've been able to spot targets in deep shadows with a low power scope that I would never have seen with a red dot.

The vintage Leupold are still excellent scopes, but as with all vintage scopes, lens coating and optical performance is a bit dated, compared to the new stuff. Love those old Leupold 1-4x gloss scopes, but the current Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x puts it to shame for brightness and clarity.

That said, the prices on vintage Leupolds has gone through the roof, so if you've found one at a decent price, do consider it
2 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri May 07, 2021 11:47 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am
in selecting a red dot, make sure you can see it at the range you anticipate shooting on a bright, sunny day
Definitely! A big dot is quicker to acquire, but covers more of your target. The TRS- 25 is 3 MOA, so it covers 3” at 100 yards. I like it, but it is too small for a handgun that might be needed for rapid self defense at close range, so a bigger one would be better then…

And look for cheap, easy to replace battery, not one that requires you to dismount the site from the gun.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri May 07, 2021 2:27 pm

I really would like a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 with german4 recticle but its impossible to buy in Europe :( and leopold is the only lightweight 1" scope available.
0 x