Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Musical Scopes

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Musical Scopes

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 am

I know you just acquired a number of new scopes but perhaps going forward you could choose scopes without the target turrets. More of a classic look but with modern glass and a 1” tube. Regardless, even with the target turrets that scope looks great on your rifle. :D
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:15 pm

I guess it is time to update some of these old scopes. Never could hit stuff with them.
082C80B6-3D76-4F67-9BD1-35AE04623932.jpeg
This Higgins is most likely post-WWII.
4BADD997-88EA-4922-9294-99BF3C26363F.jpeg
But I’m not all old school. This C6 Weaver is from the 60’s.
F42BB6AC-EEB3-415C-9F9C-3F9103C656B7.jpeg
Another 3/4” tube Weaver. When Weaver came out with the 7/8” line I bought a few of those too like the V-22. Those will be updated also.
08E4B27C-296A-4B48-B767-2E33E43A9979.jpeg
I need to order some medium Leupold rings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:20 pm

I just played a short game of musical scopes yesterday. I noticed a good buy ($119.99) on the Burris Droptine .22 RF 3-9 x 40 scope in a Natchez Shooters Supply flier. I was aware these scopes had been discontinued; thought they were gone. Since Natchez still had 'em, I ordered one. It wound up going on my Tikka T1x, and the Sightron 3-9x32 it was wearing went on a Ruger American .22, replacing an older 4X shotgun scope. While the Burris scope is bigger than what I'd want to put on a Henry lever action, it fit fine on the Tikka (no sights to interfere with its low scope rings). So now I have to wait out this cold snap (-30f tonight forecast) to sight 'em in :) .
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:20 pm
I just played a short game of musical scopes yesterday. I noticed a good buy ($119.99) on the Burris Droptine .22 RF 3-9 x 40 scope in a Natchez Shooters Supply flier. I was aware these scopes had been discontinued; thought they were gone. Since Natchez still had 'em, I ordered one. It wound up going on my Tikka T1x, and the Sightron 3-9x32 it was wearing went on a Ruger American .22, replacing an older 4X shotgun scope. While the Burris scope is bigger than what I'd want to put on a Henry lever action, it fit fine on the Tikka (no sights to interfere with its low scope rings). So now I have to wait out this cold snap (-30f tonight forecast) to sight 'em in :) .
Welcome to the waiting out the weather club. 8-)
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 am

Another game of Musical scopes pending: While waiting out the weather (when it warms up it snows), it occurred to me I really should switch out the 3-9X Burris compact I have on my CZ 452 .17 HMR for a Burris 4-12X AO compact I have sitting around, rifleless ;). The 3-9X is back on a Swedish Mauser I sporterized (with the heavy lifting done by a good gunsmith); its scope rings and mounts limit what I can fit to it and keep the scope low as possible. I thought the 4-12X ocular assembly would be the same, both Burris scopes being compacts, but no, its slightly bigger, so the medium Burris rimfire rings are too low (.40 saddle height). The good news is, I found gloss Weaver "extra high" Grand Slam rimfire rings, new, in their packaging, on E-Bay for under $20 :) . They should be just enough higher than the Burris rings ( about 0.12 inch) to clear the bolt, without being any higher than necessary. These rings might also be good for use on Henry rimfires, to clear the hammer, but still not be too high. Maybe I shoulda ordered a second set :oops: .
1 x

Stump
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Stump » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:00 am

I know the musical scopes game well and just when I think I have it all ironed out, it starts all over again. I have too many scopes and too many rimfire rifles to ever put an end to this game, it's painful but also fun at the same time and I think I actually enjoy it.
3 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm

An update on the height of the Weaver Grand Slam Extra-High rimfire rings: I found them to be about perfect for height with the Burris Compact A/O 4-12X, I fit to a CZ 452 American .17 HMR. Clearance for the bolt was the issue there. Having fit a Burris Compact Mini 4X to a Henry Frontier, I found that I could barely clear the hammer with the rings I used, and a scope with a "standard" ocular assembly wouldn't have worked. So I can say that for a Henry .22 RF the Weaver grand Slam Extra-High rimfire rings might be just the thing ;). They may have been been discontinued; these (Gloss) were made in China; now Weaver Grand Slam rings are made in the USA, but I'm not sure if the rimfire version is in production here. They're pretty well made, not quite as robust a dovetail clamp as Burris or Leupold steel rings, but plenty strong enough, and a bit more compact, too. It's always good to have lots of options when we mount scopes :) .
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:26 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm
An update on the height of the Weaver Grand Slam Extra-High rimfire rings: I found them to be about perfect for height with the Burris Compact A/O 4-12X, I fit to a CZ 452 American .17 HMR. Clearance for the bolt was the issue there. Having fit a Burris Compact Mini 4X to a Henry Frontier, I found that I could barely clear the hammer with the rings I used, and a scope with a "standard" ocular assembly wouldn't have worked. So I can say that for a Henry .22 RF the Weaver grand Slam Extra-High rimfire rings might be just the thing ;). They may have been been discontinued; these (Gloss) were made in China; now Weaver Grand Slam rings are made in the USA, but I'm not sure if the rimfire version is in production here. They're pretty well made, not quite as robust a dovetail clamp as Burris or Leupold steel rings, but plenty strong enough, and a bit more compact, too. It's always good to have lots of options when we mount scopes :) .
For the last decade or so Weaver rings have been made in the USA and China and they both use the same part number.

I have seen 49041 also made in China.
D1EA026B-AFBB-4397-AA9A-58A04D4E2365.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:29 pm

That's good to know. Previously, the Weaver Grand Slam rings I've used on Henry single shot rifles have been the center fire type for Weaver (or other similar) bases, which were all made in the USA. This rimfire Grand Slam model was the first I got that was made in China. I did read some internet chatter about the earlier offshore sourced rings having some quality control issues, but that went away when they returned to USA production. No issues at all with this set of rimfire rings, though, and gloss finish to match the scopes is getting hard to find.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Well I did a scope swap today on one rifle. Don't know if I would call it "musical scopes" but this looks like a thread to add to. I got ready for the range with the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger MK.III Hunter and at the last minute decided to take the Remington 540X since I had shot the 540XR last trip out to the range. Then I remembered I never had tried the fixed 16X Leupold so off came the fixed 12X Leupold and on went the 16X. Was easy to bore sight and only a couple shots and was where I wanted it to be at 50 yds. Didn't want it in the bulls eye because of shooting my aiming point away. So now I have two 12X Leupolds and a Vari-X 2 6-18 that needs to play "musical scopes" with something else. ;) :D
0 x