Re: What Is Parallax?

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:24 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:16 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 pm
Adjustable parallax capability is a fairly new invention. Carlos Hathcock used a 8x Unertl scope in VN, which didn't even have a mil-dot reticle, let alone any way to adjust for parallax. :)
He had the record for distance for several decades. It’s amazing he could get a kill at a mile with an 8x.
Here's a little more on that Unertl and rifle.

https://sofrep.com/gear/the-carlos-hath ... per-rifle/
That would put a feather in his cap.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Hey All,

RR come on you know paraffin is used for constipation not parallax. 😉

Actually I'm learning lots here...

-Ed-
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Simplest way to see how much parallax you have is set the rifle up in a solid rest and then move your head slightly from side to side. You will see the cross hairs walking across the target.
As for how much I have seen 1" at 50y, mate and I were shooting the same rifle. Both of us were shooing consistent 1/2" groups but there was 1" difference in where the groups were on the targets.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:23 pm

220 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 pm
Simplest way to see how much parallax you have is set the rifle up in a solid rest and then move your head slightly from side to side. You will see the cross hairs walking across the target.
As for how much I have seen 1" at 50y, mate and I were shooting the same rifle. Both of us were shooing consistent 1/2" groups but there was 1" difference in where the groups were on the targets.
I did that test and was astounded at what I saw. A rimfire parallax set at 60 yards would would give me eight inches movement at 200 yards. The same scope at 25 yards allowed enough movement to miss a squirrel.

The depth of parallax correctness was also very narrow. My Nikon centerfire scopes are set for 100 yards and at 110 yards I could see slight movement.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:00 am

I dont think it presents a real problem in most situation, with a good cheek weld on the stock you are going to be viewing things the same each time.
Shooting from a unusual position as you are sometimes forced to in the field or using a rifle that has been sighted in by someone else then certainly there is the possibility to miss smaller targets.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:20 pm

I started to panic a bit when reading the first few posts here, and then the expert (NCG) put my mind back at ease. I only use scopes for deer and occasionally on my Ruger American Rimfire for birds. The RAR has a Nikon Rimfire scope and has proven to be deadly accurate. The scope on my .30-30 might be less than ideal for the purposes of this thread, but it’s more likely I’ll make a poor shot with it due to buck fever or shooting offhand on the side of a rain soaked hill than due to parallax.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:22 pm

Glad to help. For sure, I hope no one runs out to buy a scope with an AO, now, unless it's really needed. Even though I'm pretty religious about using AO scopes for my air gun shooting, I've always been a minimalist when it comes to scopes for hunting. Guess I'm very old school in that respect. I still have a fondness for fixed power scopes and simple, uncluttered reticles. None of that fancy stuff for me.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:29 pm

I think it’s important to know the distance a fixed parallax scope is set for. As an example if I’m shooting my Nikon which is fixed at 100 yards and I’m shooting at that distance all is good. Now if I shoot out to 150 yards I need to be more careful sighting in the middle of the eye box. And just the opposite with the Leupold fixed at 150 yards and shooting at 100.

But it also makes a difference of your intended purpose. Putting venison on the table where a quarter inch off makes no difference is totally different than try to get a sub-inch group on paper.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:53 am

Yup, different tools for different jobs. I do wish scope makers would do a better job of posting the parallax setting for their scopes and make it a standard part of every model's description. Should be right there with weight and all the other specs. You shouldn't have to dig for it on their website.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:16 am

I have searched on the Leupold website to find the parallax on my new 1.5-4x20 scope. All they say is it is “fixed”. In the instruction sheet it says rimfire scopes are set for 60 and centerfire set for 150. So is the scope considered rim or center?

Since I’m on the subject of Leupold instruction sheets I would also like to say the sheets that came with my four scopes were all the same. I know in general many manufacturers will include instructions for different options of the same product but the sheet will be different for completely different models.

A third comment is I’ve read where you can ship your scope to Leupold and they can change the parallax for $25 plus shipping.
0 x