Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leupold VX-1 Vs. Leupold VX-Freedom Scopes

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Leupold VX-1 Vs. Leupold VX-Freedom Scopes

Post by HenryFan » Sat May 25, 2024 9:25 am

Recently I posted a "Want To Buy" in the Classifieds in which I stated I want to buy a Leupold gloss-finish variable rimfire scope. As North County Gal correctly commented, it might prove to be a difficult search.

My searches discovered a number of FX-1 4X gloss finish Leupold rimfire scopes but hardly any Leupold gloss finish variable scopes and those 4X rimfire scopes don't come cheap on ebay.

With that in mind, I bought a new in the box Leupold VX-1 2-7X28 rimfire scope which I found in the Classified in another forum of which I am a member. Not gloss-finish but matte-finish but it is a Leupold rimfire scope. The plastic wrapped was still around the box.

My question is this:

Is there a significant difference quality-wise between the now discontinued VX-1 rimfire scopes and the current production VX-Freedom rimfire scopes? Did I come out better buying the VX-1 over the VX-Freedom scope, about the same or worse?

Scope guru comments are solicited.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Leupold VX-1 Vs. Leupold VX-Freedom Scopes

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 25, 2024 11:05 am

I have several of the Freedom 3-9x EFR Rimfire scopes and I rate them, highly. They've become my replacement for the no longer available Nikon Prostaff EFR rimfire scopes, now that Nikon is no longer in the scope business. That's a hard act to follow because Nikon scopes were excellent in terms of their optics, but the Freedom scopes have done a good job for me as a replacement. I have also had a number of other scopes in the Freedom line and they have also done well for me.

The one factor that you must consider when buying any optics is the continuing advancement in optical technology. Simply put, dollar for dollar, you get better optics with a new scope than the old series of scope that it replaced. Yes, the Freedom scopes are brighter and have better contrast than my older VX-1 Rimfires. I can see the difference. That doesn't mean the older FX Rimfires are inferior scopes by any means. They are still more than good enough for rimfire work, but I wouldn't pay more to get them unless I could snag a gloss one. Another plus for the Freedom line that I also appreciate is the big, finger adjustable turrets. Does make sighting in more convenient.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 25, 2024 11:08 am

I can’t speak to the difference between the VX-1 and the Freedom series other than I have three of the Freedom 2-7x32’s, two rimfire and one center fire. The only difference between them is the parallax adjustment, 60 yards for the rimfire and 150 for the center fire. Other than the $100.00 price increase a couple of years ago (199 up to 299) I really like this scope. I am currently looking for another myself to upgrade the scope on a AR in 300 Blackout.

They look great on lever action carbines, just the perfect size. The matte finish on the scope looks great on a matte finish Henry Big Boy.
IMG_0661.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am

The VX-1 scope I just bought has a 28mm objective while the VX-Freedom scopes apparently have a 33mm objective, some a 40mm objective. Could that account for a brighter view on the newer model scopes?

One other factor is that the reticle on the VX-1 is a simple, fine duplex while some of the newer rimfire scopes have reticles that confuse me. Some look like an optic on a bomb sight or a periscope.

In any event, it's mine now.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 25, 2024 6:59 pm

Won't be much difference between a 28mm and 33mm as far as what you'll notice. You'll do fine with the VX-1. Great scope.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 26, 2024 10:36 am

HenryFan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 11:18 am
The VX-1 scope I just bought has a 28mm objective while the VX-Freedom scopes apparently have a 33mm objective, some a 40mm objective. Could that account for a brighter view on the newer model scopes?

One other factor is that the reticle on the VX-1 is a simple, fine duplex while some of the newer rimfire scopes have reticles that confuse me. Some look like an optic on a bomb sight or a periscope.

In any event, it's mine now.
Good points and also why I like the Freedoms. Simple reticle and moa adjustments. Stuff I understand.
1 x