Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First time out with Skinner Express Peep

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

First time out with Skinner Express Peep

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 pm

I took it to the range today to sight it in. I was expecting my aim to immediately be a lot better; but it wasn't any better at all. My expectations were too high. Somehow, I actually thought I would be able to shoot as well as Bandit on my first time out. Silly me. :lol:

I used fifty rounds of factory ammo, S&B 158 gr. FMJs, and shot the first thirty rounds sitting with my elbow resting on a table. The last twenty rounds were shot offhand and standing. I shot 10 rounds at each of five targets at 75 feet.

The peep was screwed all the way down for the first 40 rounds. I discounted the first target all together, having read something here about the need to season the barrel. The second, third, and fourth targets had POIs that were all low and to the right, so I raised the peep one full turn for the last ten shots. That brought the POIs up, but I was still hitting to the right of center. [The following statement is wrong, as pointed out in a reply by rwortman. It DOES have a windage adjustment! ] Since there isn't a windage adjustment, I'll need a bit more range time before I can figure out how to move the POIs to the left and to determine if that one full turn is adequate. [My apologies to Andy for misrepresenting his fine peep sight.]

So, after my first time out with the Skinner Peep, I'd say I've been shooting better with the stock sights. However that is probably only because I was getting used to that semi-buckhorn and now I'm just beginning to use the peep. It's like starting all over again. :)

It's a learning experience for me. Any and all comments are encouraged. Thanks.
Skinner Peep Big Boy H006M S&B 158 FMJ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: First time out with Skinner Express Peep

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey, CT_Shooter. Thanks for posting. While peep sights don't make anyone an instant sharpshooter, you will find that with practice, they will help you shoot really accurately. The human eye tends to automatically center the top of the front sight in the rear sight aperture.

Recently I handed my Henry .30-30 with XS ghost ring sights to three different shooters at the range. All three hit 100 yard steel swingers with their first shots.
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Well, I think I remember to correct windage, if you are shooting to the right you need to drift the front sight to the right. I have a homemade brass punch that I use, but I would think no more than you are off, it would only take a small adjustment.

I agree with ditto, the more you use it, the more natural it will become.

So, go shoot and have fun getting used to it! :D
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 pm

I thought all the skinner rear sights were adjustable for windage. mine for the Small game carbine is. it has a elongated slot for the bolt at the rear.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:16 pm

White Squirrel is right on when he said: "....if you are shooting to the right you need to drift the front sight to the right." On another forum, I read some comments, which make it a little easier to remember. Just think that you have to "chase the bullet." That means if the rifle is shooting to the right, chase the bullet and move the front sight to the right. And this is the opposite what you would do with the rear sight windage adjustment.

The other important consideration is to remember that it takes a very small amount of drift to correct the windage (my Henry SGC manual actually states this). Not a sledge hammer hit, but the light-weight taps with that small bronze hammer & punch. ;)

I also agree with ditto. The key whenever you change sights is "practice and more practice." It'll come after more bullets head downrange. BTW, your target POIs look pretty good -- elevation is fine, and as you noted, the windage is just off to the right. And you're shooting off hand, which is both more challenging and "a good way to get good!" :lol: So after you get that windage adjusted, the practice will start putting those rounds in the red bull!! :D

CT_Shooter wrote:I took it to the range today to sight it in. I was expecting my aim to immediately be a lot better; but it wasn't any better at all. My expectations were too high. Somehow, I actually thought I would be able to shoot as well as Bandit on my first time out. Silly me. :lol:

I used fifty rounds of factory ammo, S&B 158 gr. FMJs, and shot the first thirty rounds sitting with my elbow resting on a table. The last twenty rounds were shot offhand and standing. I shot 10 rounds at each of five targets at 75 feet.

The peep was screwed all the way down for the first 40 rounds. I discounted the first target all together, having read something here about the need to season the barrel. The second, third, and fourth targets had POIs that were all low and to the right, so I raised the peep one full turn for the last ten shots. That brought the POIs up, but I was still hitting to the right of center. Since there isn't a windage adjustment, I'll need a bit more range time before I can figure out how to move the POIs to the left and to determine if that one full turn is adequate.

So, after my first time out with the Skinner Peep, I'd say I've been shooting better with the stock sights. However that is probably only because I was getting used to that semi-buckhorn and now I'm just beginning to use the peep. It's like starting all over again. :)

It's a learning experience for me. Any and all comments are encouraged. Thanks.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Steve wrote:I thought all the skinner rear sights were adjustable for windage. mine for the Small game carbine is. it has a elongated slot for the bolt at the rear.
If there's a windage adjustment on the Skinner Express for the Big Boy, I don't where it is or how it might work.

I'll take the hammer and punch and some gun oil to the range with me and shoot again before I start to slowly drift the front sight to the right. But, it does seem like that may be the solution.

Thanks all, for your advice and suggestions.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:23 pm

I have the express sight on my Big Boy and there is a windage adjustment. You loosen the setscrew just in front the the peep and drift that part of the sight left or right. It is a very fine dovetail and not easily seen.
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:42 pm

rwortman wrote:I have the express sight on my Big Boy and there is a windage adjustment. You loosen the setscrew just in front the the peep and drift that part of the sight left or right. It is a very fine dovetail and not easily seen.
That's good to know. I have the Skinner dovetail sight on three rifles, so they have a natural windage adjustment just like the dovetail front sight.

I did not know that about the Skinner Express, but since I would like to get one for my Frontier, that is good to know.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am

rwortman wrote:I have the express sight on my Big Boy and there is a windage adjustment. You loosen the setscrew just in front the the peep and drift that part of the sight left or right. It is a very fine dovetail and not easily seen.
Thank you, so much. I'm very relieved. I wasn't really nuts about drifting the front sight. I'm also a bit embarrassed that I didn't figure out the windage adjustment on my own. :oops:
0 x