Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just placed my New Skinner sights on Frontier

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Just placed my New Skinner sights on Frontier

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 am

Ok, here is my take on the Skinner sights on my new Frontier and things to consider for those buying one in the future and not make the mistakes I made like purchasing a front sight that I did not need.
I purchased the Skinner specifically for the Frontier in the ad. It fits just forward of the Receiver and Not at the end of the receiver closer to the eye.
Fortunately for me this was the right choice as one closer to the eye would have screwed up my length of Pull and and made my eye to sight alignment awkward and uncomfortable to shoulder with more NECK bending.

Try this before you purchase. A peep sight is basically nothing more than a o ring. So look around your tool box, or find something that resembles the size of a o ring, a writing pen etc. The Peep sight just sits a little higher with the base of the sight. Now get some duct take make a small base and just place the sight in different locations on the barrel or receiver and secure it. Try different locations, shoulder the rifle and look through the sight. Does it shoulder well? Can you see the front sight? This will give you a good idea of what to purchase.
With me personally, the sight further away from the eye gave me a perfect sight picture to the front sight. If I had installed one close to the eye, I would have in fact needed a larger front sight.

2) I painted the front gold bead on the sight with "testors enamel florescent paint" It made a world of different in eye contact, showed up extremely well and the paint is very durable and low cost. One package of Testors has different colors of florescent colors and still less expensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

3) When removing the REAR sight, be sure to lube the sight with WD 40 or in my case just a little Ballistol. I skipped this procedure at first and was not having much success in removing the sight. Once I place the oil on the sight, it just tapped off all most on it's own.

I hope this helps for those thinking of buying one. If you buy a front sight that you do not need you are out the cost and the shipping.
The peep sight does work very well for close range at least for my old eyes. However in the future I will place either a "Bug Buster" or Clear Ridge 3x9 on the rifle.
Good Shooting!
Last edited by Whiskeyshooter on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Just placed my New Skinner sights on Frontier

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:53 am

Good advice, WhiskeyShooter.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 am

Good support info for future peep pursuers. A couple of comments on your comments.

The Skinner web site is quite busy, and much, much info is there --- takes some sifting to get through it and find the specifics you need. I recall when I was deciding which peep to get, I read that on the receiver-mounted one Skinner said to not buy a front sight until one mounts the rear, and shoots the rifle to sight in. His good advice exactly matches your good advice.

I have the Small Game Carbine, which is built by Henry with the Skinner receiver-mounted sight already in place. I did notice what you described about "more NECK bending" to a small extent. Since I had no choice, I work with it. As the neck bend is minimal, I am still able to sight and shoot pretty well. But again, your observation is helpful.

Finally, thanks for the tip on the enamel paint to "brighten up" the front bead sight. I've been wondering what to try on mine....I've used a pale green nail polish on my revolver front blade. It's wide enough that I can grab the sight acquisition pretty easily. Wasn't sure about the much smaller bead sight on the Henry. I just might get some of the Testors stuff.

Hope you enjoy your new Skinner sight as I have. Yup, the elder eyes are also grateful! :lol:
Have a great day.
Whiskeyshooter wrote:Ok, here is my take on the Skinner sights on my new Frontier and things to consider for those buying one in the future and not make the mistakes I made like purchasing a front sight that I did not need.
I purchased the Skinner specifically for the Frontier in the ad. It fits just forward of the Receiver and Not at the end of the receiver closer to the eye.
Fortunately for me this was the right choice as one closer to the eye would have screwed up my length of Pull and and made my eye to sight alignment awkward and uncomfortable to shoulder with more NECK bending.

Try this before you purchase. A peep sight is basically nothing more than a o ring. So look around your tool box, or find something that resembles the size of a o ring, a writing pen etc. The Peep sight just sits a little higher with the base of the sight. Now get some duct take make a small base and just place the sight in different locations on the barrel or receiver and secure it. Try different locations, shoulder the rifle and look through the sight. Does it shoulder well? Can you see the front sight? This will give you a good idea of what to purchase.
With me personally, the sight further away from the eye gave me a perfect sight picture to the front sight. If I had installed one close to the eye, I would have in fact needed a larger front sight.

2) I painted the front gold bead on the sight with "testors enamel florescent paint" It made a world of different in eye contact, showed up extremely well and the paint is very durable and low cost. One package of Testors has different colors of florescent colors and still less expensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

3) When removing the front sight, be sure to lube the sight with WD 40 or in my case just a little Ballistol. I skipped this procedure at first and was not having much success in removing the sight. Once I place the oil on the sight, it just tapped off all most on it's own.

I hope this helps for those thinking of buying one. If you buy a front sight that you do not need you are out the cost and the shipping.
The peep sight does work very well for close range at least for my old eyes. However in the future I will place either a "Bug Buster" or Clear Ridge 3x9 on the rifle.
Good Shooting!
0 x

~Пока~

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:41 am

Note On my review of the Skinner sight replacement. I had posted about the front sight being removed, but that was a typo and meant REAR sight as I have corrected. The difference in the placement of the Skinner sight on the rifle, (IMO) will obviously be determined by body stature, I am 5/11' tall, but have fairly long arms and long fingers. For me personally, as I mentioned the sight in front of the receiver was perfect. However, if a person is of smaller Stature then Yes, the Peep mounted at the end of the receiver closer to the eye may benefit them more. For me, I would have most definitely needed the larger Front sight.
Yes the Skinner webpage is very well done, but I think it could have some benefit if it showed different size shooters and comments of what front and rear sight suited them best.
The Skinner is a very great quality product and offers a huge benefit over the Buck Horn. However my only complaint is I now have a front sight I really do not need.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:22 am

I'd simply keep that front sight. One never knows; you might need some front sight adjusts on your next Henry rifle!! :D

Whiskeyshooter wrote:Note On my review of the Skinner sight replacement. I had posted about the front sight being removed, but that was a typo and meant REAR sight as I have corrected. The difference in the placement of the Skinner sight on the rifle, (IMO) will obviously be determined by body stature, I am 5/11' tall, but have fairly long arms and long fingers. For me personally, as I mentioned the sight in front of the receiver was perfect. However, if a person is of smaller Stature then Yes, the Peep mounted at the end of the receiver closer to the eye may benefit them more. For me, I would have most definitely needed the larger Front sight.
Yes the Skinner webpage is very well done, but I think it could have some benefit if it showed different size shooters and comments of what front and rear sight suited them best.
The Skinner is a very great quality product and offers a huge benefit over the Buck Horn. However my only complaint is I now have a front sight I really do not need.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:50 am

Peeps are not on for the rear. Try the Lyman 17A Globe sight. You can pick and choose the insert that fits your needs the best. I like the rear sight as far back as possible and have tang sights on some of my Henrys. I don't understand the neck bending as the sight should be in the same line.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater