Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New peep incoming.

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New peep incoming.

Post by Keystone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:13 pm

I ordered a RPP cloverleaf should be here by the weekend. Unfortunate for me is it will be next Friday until I can squeak to the range with it. I went brass with green fiber optic. Think it will look just fine on my H010BWL. I hope it’s an improvement over the semi buckhorn. Any advice on the install?
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New peep incoming.

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 pm

looking forward to seeing pictures of it mounted on your Henry as well as your following range reports with use comments
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Congratulations! You should enjoy it. I enjoy the one that I installed on my H009. Check the site, but you will probably have to remove the semi-buckhorn (it blocks the sight picture). If you do remove the semi-buckhorn, a blank would be nice. I got one from MidwayUSA for about $6.
Henry+Optic+Blank-Rev-1.jpg
H009CloverLeaf2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:17 pm

I ordered a dovetail blank from skinner. I didn’t think I’d like the way RPP’s would look with the octagonal barrel. I liked the way the skinner looked with the octagonal. I didn’t see any images of midways. Skinners wasn’t far and above what midways was. I think shipping, the blank and a vial of cold blue ran me $20 to my door.

Both companies impressed me with their shipping turnaround. Both shipped within 18 hours of order receipt.

I went with RPP’s hoping I could stick with the OEM front sight (I like it) and it seems easier to fine tune adjustments (may or may not be correct... time will tell) although I would confidently buy from skinner as well.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm

I like Jim will be curious to see how you like it once its on and you have shot it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 pm

It is easy to fine tune (works like adjusting a scope). And, I did not want to replace my front sight either. Yet, I wanted to shoot fairly accurate out to 100 yards. Overall, I am pleased.

A link to my fine tuning. I think that I may be able to shoot a tighter group with a different brand of ammo.

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 25#p135425
0 x

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 pm

5C04F7FF-97D8-4B3E-93A9-D989BCD2D06B.jpeg
B8BEBA41-0C14-4B18-96D0-1E58BFB820C0.jpeg
I also put a skinner dovetail filler in. I filed and put it in without issue. I had to drive it in with a bit more force but I erred on the tighter side as I didn’t want it to loosen up with the recoil of the mule.

Range trip Friday hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Not sure why the one pic is upside down but you can still see the aperture. Lol
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Looks nice! Happy shooting!!
0 x

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:11 am

Had it out yesterday. First 3 shots at 25 yds we’re touching. I threw a bunch of different ammo down range so there were shots all over the paper (I’ll post pics when I have a few min). Settled on Remington core lock 405 grain simply because I was a lemon to find 4 boxes of the same ammo. I was looking for enough ammo to sight in, shoot a bit, and have a Half box or box left for my Maine trip in September. I actually like the ways the Remingtons felt, I may have to find a clone reloading data for them.

Back to the sight. I was a bit concerned I was going to run out of up elevation but it all worked out with a few threads left to go. I can hold the pin just under at 25 and cover at 50 and I am in the bull. That’s the farthest out I’ll need to be right now the September trip is a baited bear hunt. The outfitter I talked to said “sight in for 30 yards and be able to shoot up to 50, our bait sites are thick”

In the future I may replace the front or I may buy a different Henry for longer shooting. I can tell the wife I NEED another gun. She supports my gun habit rather well.
1 x