Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sights on my my new rifle

Chomper
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Sights on my my new rifle

Post by Chomper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Just got a new Henry small game rifle in 22lr. It shoots high and left .I didn’t see any windage adjustments on the rear sight (it has skinner sights) do drift the front blade ? Also the rear peep is as low as it will go so I will have to lower the front blade.This will be hard to do as there is a brass insert .Any ideas? And I did add the new Henry to the count .😀
0 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Sights on my my new rifle

Post by brettitt41 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Congrats on the new rifle. Sorry I do not have a skinner sight so can't really help much. My next Henry will have them though.
0 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:00 am

"It shoots high and left."
To lower the point of impact by changing the front sight, you will have to find a taller blade. It's the opposite of the effect of raising the rear sight. Think of it as forcing the muzzle down. On my Skinner peep, the brass part has a small set screw in the center to tighten it in the base's dovetail. You could probably loosen that and drift it over to adjust it, but in my case I would rather drift the front sight. (Less noticeable) The Skinner wouldn't look as good drifted off center.
Back to the elevation- Check the rear peep for a washer or nut beneath the aperture that could be removed to get it a little lower.
Often times different ammo will have different ballistics, try some different brands to see if any will fix your problem.
I went a couple rounds with a Skinner peep on my BBS .44 carbine, changed the front sight, it was too tall after the change, re-installed the original blade and have yet to take it out for a test. My Lever-evolution ammo hits lower than the 180 grain whistlers I was shooting at first.
I'm easily distracted or buy new stuff and let projects get cobwebs sometimes.. But I'll be shooting it in the next few weeks.
Good luck to you :)
1 x

Chomper
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Chomper » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Thank you for the advice. After I posted this first I found that need to rise the front sight. But nice to have it confirmed.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:57 pm

Check out Ranger Point Precision for a sight. I really like the front sight on my Winchester.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:57 pm

Check out Ranger Point Precision for a sight. I really like the front sight on my Winchester.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:24 am

Look again at the base of the skinner sight the rear mounting screw loosens to adjust the base on the skinner sight for windage. I have one and I don't have an elevation issue with mine. You might try some different ammo to see if that changes anything.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55