Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy peep sight

Ozziemick
Tenderfoot
Australia

Big Boy peep sight

Post by Ozziemick » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:19 am

Hi everyone, question from down in Australia. Just wondering if anyone could tell me if Henry rifles are drilled and tapped for receiver sights such as Williams and Lyman? I’m not interested in tang mounted sights. I know there are a lot of Skinners mounted on Henry’s, but I’d rather the Williams type for the adjustments needed for some competition lever action silhouette shooting. Cheers.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Big Boy peep sight

Post by leverjc » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:25 am

I have Williams FP"s on my steel BB and on my Frontier. The BB is does not have the side mount holes like a Marlin does so I went with the top mount one that fits the Marlin 94 but you do have some over hang on the hammer of the BB as the mount holes are farther back on the Henry. I can still cock the hammer with my thumb but it is tight. Some people put on a hammer extension.

The one on my 24" Frontier is the one that fits the slots for 22's. This Williams sight sits high so you will need about 3/4" front sight. I installed a .6 Skinner blade on mine and it still shoots high with the sight bottomed out. The .75 blade is in the mail so I do not know how much I will file down but will try and remember to post once I get it dialed in.

Williams seem to be the most used sight where I compete.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 am

While the Williams 336 will go on the Steel Big Boys the sights have to be modified some to fit the brass receiver modles.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 am

the sights have to be modified some to fit the brass receiver models.
It's not a physical modification but just a matter of reversing the windage slider and mounting the sight in reverse.

Otherwise the sight can be mounted the way it is but it will hang off the rear of the receiver about a 1/2".

This is my BBB with the sight mounted in reverse.
a1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am

No really it is a physical modification.
For the BBB the Williams 336 elevator has to be thinned down a few tenths of an inch. I used a file. Anything beyond hand tools and I'm out.
Ed I believe writing about the WGRS, witch is not a practical sight for Silhouette.
Mistered wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:38 am
the sights have to be modified some to fit the brass receiver models.
It's not a physical modification but just a matter of reversing the windage slider and mounting the sight in reverse.

Otherwise the sight can be mounted the way it is but it will hang off the rear of the receiver about a 1/2".

See my previous posts and pictures about this.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:18 am

Ed I believe writing about the WGRS
This is correct.

The FP-336 elevator does have to be thinned on the inside to fit the BBB but why would the WGRS not be 'practical' for silhouette?

You would still be looking through the same peep aperture regardless of sight model.
0 x

Ozziemick
Tenderfoot
Australia

Post by Ozziemick » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 pm

So what front post would you need with that Williams peep? Only other thing I was thinking about is one of the side mounted peeps, with the adjustable knobs so I could move the sight up and down for the different distances and have good repeatability.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Ozziemick wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 pm
So what front post would you need with that Williams peep? Only other thing I was thinking about is one of the side mounted peeps, with the adjustable knobs so I could move the sight up and down for the different distances and have good repeatability.
The Williams 336 mounts on the top in the existing holes in the reciever of a Big Boy.
There is nothing to mount a sight on the side of the receiver like a Winchester.
Don't know what caliber your shooting and you may want to wait and see how your rifle shoots, but, most seem to need a taller front sight.
I personally like the Marbels 1/16 bead sights
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:43 pm

with the adjustable knobs so I could move the sight up and down
This is referrefd to as the 'TK' style meaning ''thumb knob' - and I don't know if the 336 is available in this style.

Check out Williams' website for specifics.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm

As Ed says you will need a FP/tk, Fool Proof/Target Knob modle.
It always nice to add a gig lock screw knob
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... yAsscmbpbj
And depedingnon the rifle cartridge comb an extended elevator target screw may be needed.
1 x
Pax at Justitia