Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How to make the Ghost Ring sight.....

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: How to make the Ghost Ring sight.....

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 pm

brianpa wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:56 pm
Thanks Fortyshooter I made one of these inserts tonight and I think it will be a nice addition to my new H009G. I used Oxy-Blue on it to darken it.
Sounds good and maybe a Range report on how well it shoots!
0 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed May 03, 2023 1:02 am

Hey, fortyshooter!!!

I hope it's okay to revive this thread.

I shot my new Brass framed octagon barrel .30-30 for the first time today at the range. Off the bench and at 25 yards, it's shooting around 6.5" high, and the rear sight is bottomed out on the ramp. I brought it home, put an .05" taller (.530" vrs. .480" OEM front sight) Tru-Glo sight in place of the stock brass bead. By the sight correction calculater at the Skinner website, it needs to be .119" taller than OEM (calculated using a 16.5" sight radius, and 900" for the shooting distance).

IMG_E0724.JPG

I slid the factory diamond sight blade down a bit tonight (have no good way to measure how much). This and the taller front sight should help bring the group down a tad; won't know until the next time I go back to the range.

I really wanna try your hacksaw blade trick. I think it's a great idea. I like peep sights for my shooting. My question is can a person adjust one of these down lower than you can get with the stock diamond blade insert? Did your setup require a taller front sight for your rifle?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed May 03, 2023 10:19 pm

Well you can lower the insert as low as you want but the sight hole may drop down below the "U" shaped cutout of the sight restricting view.
I use the factory front sight bead which was one reason of making the ghost ring insert as some of the replacement rear peep sights are higher.

If you can make it give it a shot since it is just some time and an old hacksaw blade. Only Henry I have without the hole insert is my X model 45 Colt which come with better sights and the front sight was perfect height for my suppressor.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu May 04, 2023 12:16 am

Thanks, fortyshooter!!!

I've got a blade that I drilled a 3/32" hole in, hoping a slightly smaller hole would allow me to lower it a tad more. Then, I remembered I have a Ranger Point Precision Point rear peep that I have up for sale in the classifieds, and a bunch of taller-than-stock front sights leftover from my other 2 Henry peep sight "experiments". Soooo, I have the Ranger point peep on for now, with an .050" taller fiber optic front. A bit easier to just bolt on that peep, fer now. Probably get out to the range in a day or two to see what happens......
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 am

Mr. Neutron wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:16 am
... Probably get out to the range in a day or two to see what happens......
Get one of these. It'll help tell you if you are close without having to go to the range right away. You'll still do your final sight adjustments at the range, but you'll know before you go if your sight setup has a chance of working.

https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Univer ... B07C4ZXHKW
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu May 04, 2023 2:51 pm

I think I'm good fer now (at 25 yards) with the RPP peeper and the Tru-Glo .530" tall front sight. Made a quick trip to the range in our constant drizzle...... :roll: After I get my glasses and/or eyes sorted, I'll try some handloads at 100, or maybe that LeveRevolution ammo by Hornady. My new rifle semed to like it a coupla days ago.

Today's 7-shot group. One hole is just *slightly* longer than the others. It's either a double shot hole, or a complete miss. Could go either way with me pullin' a trigger....... :mrgreen:

IMG_0730.JPG

Sorry to bug y'all about the DIY Ghost Sight. I just forgot that I still had the RPP peep sight layin' around doin' nuthin...... :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu May 04, 2023 7:57 pm

No problem Jimmie and glad to offer some help and ideas!
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Thu May 04, 2023 11:20 pm

Believe me, your help and advice is always a welcome thing, forty! 👍

There’s been a fair number of times your posts have helped me even though they weren’t written to me personally. You and others here are greatly appreciated for that!
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG