Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

tangent vs. peep with globe

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

tangent vs. peep with globe

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:31 pm

There seems to be interest in shooting small circles with open sights or tangent type sights. Some guys are shooting in matches I believe at 50' at small circles one shot at each. I tried it but had to make my own targets as I don't have any like they have. Had to take a guess at the size of the circle by looking at it on their websites. I used a CD for the circle that came out to 3/8" inside the black ring. It is harder to shoot one shot at each and hit in the circle than it is to shoot a good group because of moving to a new target for every shot. This was shot with my CZ UL with tangent rear and factory post front at about 60' to my first target set up.
Now just for the fun of it I thought I would try peeps with globe front for comparison. This time I just picked my Remington Model 34(83 yr. old rifle) because it was already sitting out of the safe. Same distance same conditions. Norma tac for both rifles. So this was the Remington and it was about the way I thought it would be with the peep being more accurate for me than the tangent open sight.
I do have very good vision except I use 1.5 reading glasses for small print. I just had my eyes checked a month ago for the first time since the late '80's and after reading the charts clear to the bottom with both eyes he picked up my chart and said "67 year old eyes are not supposed to work like that." He said what do you attribute that eye sight to?" I replied " Looking for squirrels." :lol: He said "Keep doing what you are doing."
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: tangent vs. peep with globe

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:37 pm

For got to make the correction in my post. I wrote CCI Standard on the target but it was shot with Norma Tac 22. Pretty good ammo and availability here is good and it is high but that is the new trend in ammo prices. $49.95 at my LGS.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey, bandit,

I don't know about the "trend" in shooting small targets, but I like to regularly shoot at small Dirty Bird or B-C splash targets. I've tried it both with my Henry rifles and my SP101 revolver. My POIs do not come close to being as good as yours. You shoot very, very well. But maybe that's because my eyes are 68 years old -- a little older than the pair you have! What I think is a significant eye problem that almost always troubles me are floaters...not fun stuff. Well, maybe I should look for more squirrels?!? :lol:

Have you seen the "single-shot target" that is printed on the inside of the Armscor .22LR ammo box? It is in the 50-round box of .22LR, 36gr, high velocity HP ammo. It is called the "Standard 25-Meter Target," according to whomever wrote the description. Anyway, the targets are 2-1/8" in diameter. Here's a couple of pictures when I shot my Henry BBB in .357 caliber, taking only one off-hand shot at each target, set out at 25 meters (approx. 82 feet). As I was most pleased with the first POI on the left, I even took a solo picture of it!

This is fun shooting. I hope someday to land the bullets as well as you do....but as the years roll on, it may never happen.
PT7

0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm

bandit1250 wrote:For got to make the correction in my post. I wrote CCI Standard on the target but it was shot with Norma Tac 22. Pretty good ammo and availability here is good and it is high but that is the new trend in ammo prices. $49.95 at my LGS.
That is actually a good price for the Tac22's. They have never been cheap. Looks like the peep did better than the tangent.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:27 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
bandit1250 wrote:For got to make the correction in my post. I wrote CCI Standard on the target but it was shot with Norma Tac 22. Pretty good ammo and availability here is good and it is high but that is the new trend in ammo prices. $49.95 at my LGS.
That is actually a good price for the Tac22's. They have never been cheap. Looks like the peep did better than the tangent.
The area I live in is usually below prices away from here. There is one or two dealers local that have really good prices. One is kind of off the beaten path and has a lower overhead than the guys in town. If I lived close enough to check his used rack several times a week I would be in serious trouble.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 pm

I bought four cases of the Tac22 and several bricks so I'm set for awhile.
0 x

ronnie
Tenderfoot

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Chose your sticker size here 1000 1/2" for $5.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shooting-TARGET ... Swo3pWgtYp

R
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I bought four cases of the Tac22 and several bricks so I'm set for awhile.
Way to go Sir Henry. That is more Tac22 than most places have ever seen. Only one shop back here gets a really good supply. Lucky for me he has the best prices. His price is only about the same as gun shows want for bulk. You can keep those Henry's and CZ's smokin' with that much Tac. CZ's do love that stuff.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:35 pm

In 2008 there was an ammo shortage and when it came back I started buying .22LR ammo buy the case. So fast forward to 2012 and I was set. The Norma stuff was bought in the last two years but at reasonable prices. It never was cheap.
0 x