Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lyman 66 on steel Big Boy?

pooka
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Lyman 66 on steel Big Boy?

Post by pooka » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:37 pm

I apologize if this has been addressed before, I tried the search function as well as google, but found no answers. ( I'll be the first to admit terrible search skills) Has anyone here drilled and tapped a steel Big Boy receiver for the Lyman 66 / Williams FPS 94-336. I have both sights in my parts box and have clamped them up to to the receiver, both fit fine, with ample elevation clearance. I have previously D&T'd a Rossi Puma for the same set up, and it worked fine, I am leaning towards the Lyman 66 as the elevation adjustments are easier to make and I may be using different loads (44 mag). Your thoughts please. Thanks
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Lyman 66 on steel Big Boy?

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm

See my post on how I modified a Williams sight to work on my Henry.
Your BBS should have the same screw holes.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ams#p81678
1 x

pooka
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by pooka » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm
See my post on how I modified a Williams sight to work on my Henry.
Your BBS should have the same screw holes.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ams#p81678
Yes I read your post earlier, it's a good idea, I was just figuring to use some parts I had. I do some amateur gun tinkering, so drilling and tapping a couple holes is not much of a deal to me.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:44 pm

I was going to do the same thing actually on my BBB but then I discovered the receiver is wider than the steel model and the side mount Williams 94/36 would not fit properly.

Some have done this but they had to machine the inside of the mount thinner to make it line up properly.

I stumbled on what I have now when I measured the holes on the top of my receiver and knowing Williams made the WGRS-336 for the Marlin I checked and discovered the hole spacing was the same so I ordered one and took a chance and it worked out well

Oh, BTW welcome from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
1 x

pooka
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by pooka » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:58 pm

Before drilling and tapping my receiver, I removed the factory sight. I then went into my sight box (which is like a big steel fishing lure box) looking for a dovetail blank, when I saw a Williams bbl mounted peep sight. It fit great, elevation parameters looked right so I thought I would try this prior to drilling and tapping new holes. We'll see ...
0 x