Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The process

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: The process

Post by Squatch » Sat May 28, 2016 2:00 am

Thanks for the kind words. Still have a ways to go on this one.

I've been real happy so far with my new $100 waterproof camera. It gets most of the credit.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Tue May 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Lyman 20 sight came in today. It's a big thing compared to the 17a. I'll get a pic soon.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 pm

A couple of pics comparing the new Globe sight to the old one. I haven't mounted it yet. I've been pretty busy with other stuff.
New 20 on the left. Old 17a on the right.

With a .750 Skinner brass blade and a Lo-Po sight. It just screws into one of the screw holes in the receiver. This one goes back. They goofed and sent me a black instead of brass.
0 x

PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PMC » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Excellent pictures and write up Squatch! It helps so much when you are researching something you would like to do to a firearm and someone has taken the time to provide great pictures, gives good info and shares links of where they found what they needed and what worked or didn't work.
I tip my Henry hat to you.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks! It's still a work in progress. Hope to have a shooting update soon.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Alrighty then! I can now hit what I'm aiming at with the 45/70. I had just loaded up a box of my cowboy torpedoes.

This am I installed the new Lyman 20 globe sight. It's BIG!

I'll try to get some better outdoor pics.

So anyway I now have some up and down adjustment in the rear sight at 50 yds. Wasn't the best day for it. we had 20 mph winds all day and gusty. But I'll take the credit for the open groups.

I even tried to play at 200 yds. :lol: The biggest problem was my rounds are very light loads and the bullets dropped about 2'+ at 200 yds. :roll:
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:15 pm

I throw something else out. A while back I had bought a card of inserts for the 17a globe sights made By Lee Shaver. Very similar to the one that come in the sights but much finer. I tried a couple the other day in low light. Mush better. So now I'm going to have to order a card up for the larger 20 series sight.
http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... red&page=1
0 x

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:45 am

good shooting.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks, Some days are better than others!
0 x

Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hack » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:41 am

Squatch wrote:Don't get frustrated and realize it will cost some cash.
Great advice!. I remember when you first got the BB and it was shooting a full foot high! Now it is deadly accurate but it took time to work out the loads that it likes and to find the sights that you like. Of course, all of that took a bit of cash. But the journey has been part of the fun. ;)
1 x