Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Barrel / Receiver Sight

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Skinner Barrel / Receiver Sight

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Just looked at PT7s post from 4/24 and his pictures of his shinny BBB. Beautiful! I am planning on a Skinner sight for my 45 Colt. I need to go to the Skinner sight primarily because of my vision. What are the pros and cons on the barrel vrs the receiver sights? The peep sight on my M1 works for me.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Skinner Barrel / Receiver Sight

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Since I don't know, I'll first ask where the peep sight is located on your M1? That should at least give you a reference point.

If you haven't read this Forum thread about iron sights, "Shooting with iron sights," you should check it out. There are a number of Henry folk who use peep sights. The thread has lots of good commentary, and it is also noted how bringing a peep sight closer to your eye helps (barrel-mounted vs. receiver-mounted). Squatch makes some "focused" comments on this.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ron+sights

A second Forum thread that is interesting is "Changing apertures on Skinner peep sights." Different info, but relevant if you decide to change to a peep. The Skinner owner also briefly participates in this thread.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... nner+peeps

I think there may be other threads focusing on peep sights, but didn't search further.

I have two Henrys with Skinner peeps -- one barrel-mount and one receiver-mount. The receiver mount, for me, brings the target into sharper focus, and more quickly. As you'll read in the other thread, the aperture size is a consideration, and it does help to change it based on your shooting and/or hunting conditions. Sir Henry also uses tang sights, Lyman sights, and so on. He provides interesting and helpful sight accessories other than only Skinner peeps.

Trust these might be helpful. Best with your search for another sight on your Henry .45 Colt!
0 x

~Пока~

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for the links. I shall read both. The M1 peep is reliever mounted and gives me a pretty good sight picture. I have had both eyes corrected with IOL (lenses) for cataracts. So now I have great distance vision but still need reading glasses. Old news I suppose for us older guys while trying to get a good sight target picture. I will study your info. Appreciate you comments and help. Optics solve this problem but do not want to go there.
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm

To piggyback on what PT7 said, I think having the peep sight on the receiver works best for me. However, if you want to have the peep sight as a backup to a scope, then a barrel-mount makes more sense since you can mount a scope on the receiver and still have the peep sight.

I have a Skinner peep on a Rossi 92 lever that is a barrel-mount and it works just fine for me.

Like you, the receiver mounted peep sight on my M-1 carbine works well also.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Sun May 01, 2016 9:46 pm

White Squirrel. Agree. I think the receiver mount will work the best. But as PT7 said, practice,practice, practice. And, I don't want a scope on my Henry. Paid the extra tarrif to go brass with octagon so don't want to spoil that. Was out today with my 50 Cal TC Hawkin, open siights. Have to get back in shape for the summer shoot. The balls went down range but sure need more practice.
Thanks all.
Sure like the conversation.
1 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Mon May 02, 2016 11:57 am

Post up some pics and a range report when you get the Skinner on that Big Boy.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Mon May 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Will do. Hope to order this week.
0 x

Wisconsin Shooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Wisconsin Shooter » Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm

My new Skinner Express came in today's mail and I installed right away. Weather is cold and wet in WI today but got to the range between showers. I did not change the Henry front sight and adjusting the Skinner peep as low as possible I was about 2"high at 50 yards. I was very pleased with the last 5 shoot group and headed home as the rain came again. If I had my youthful eyes back I am sure the group would be even tighter. And, if I could figure out how to get pictures from my cell I would post the target and my Henry pictures. 45 Colt with 8 grains of Unique behind 250 grain Berrys bullets. Now to get off the sandbags and start off hand shooting. Fantastic!
1 x