Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Peep sight theory and practice

Moe60
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Peep sight theory and practice

Post by Moe60 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Well, it took me a while to let the peep do its job but it is finally happening.

I was still trying to align the rear and front sights like buckhorns and struggling with the peep, shooting the same with either system. Then about three weeks in I was plinking at a pop can with the top facing me and the peep lined up with the top of the can and sort of disappeared, squeezed and BINGO right in the tab rivet. Hmmm, maybe everything I read was true? OK dummy just concentrate on the front sight - ring disappears - pop can comes into focus - bead on the target - squeeze - BINGO. OMG this is great!!! :shock: Put the brass bead on the target and hit what you're lookin at!!

When I'm having a good day its almost like looking through a scope, 25 - 30 yards see the possum, look through peep, concentrate on front sight, see the possums ear hole.

The aperture effect on focal distance and the eyes natural centering of the front sight in the peep really works - if you let it.

That's how it was for me, anybody else have to work it through like this or was it just cause I'm really stubborn? :oops:
3 x
I'm just a simple guy - I live from day to day - a ray of sunshine melts my frown and blows my blues away. Robert Plant

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Peep sight theory and practice

Post by ditto1958 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

No, you're not just stubborn. You do have to trust and let a peep sight work its magic.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:21 am

makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 am

I'm a recent convert to peep sights too. I tried a friend's target rifle which was fitted with peep sights, and I was convinced that they wouldn't work for me, but I was amazed at the result. 'Normal' open sights have been a no-no for me for the past 25+ years, but I've now fitted aperture sights to both of my smallbore target rifles, and I've found that I'm every bit as accurate - or even more so - than I was using a scope.

My H003T is wearing a Skinner peep sight now, too, and I'm thinking about ordering one for my H001T. :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 am

Old eyes can really benefit from peep sights vs open sights. If you are blind like me, a scope is your friend, but I didn't want to scope my lever guns. The skinner peep was just the ticket on the Big Boy 357 Carbine.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 am

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if peep sights came with instructions? :) Actually not a bad idea, with so many new peep sight users out there.
2 x

rhill
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by rhill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Peep sights are every bit as good as a scope as long as you can see your target. Years ago when I shot smallbore competition I could tear the x ring out of the 100yd target. I shot hi-power for a while too, did the same at 600yds. prone, of course the target is bigger than the 100yd smallbore. Now I am too old, wobbly and fat to get into the prone position,age sucks.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 pm

I've never had an opportunity to fire at anywhere near 600 yards but would love to do so .... of course I'd have to do it from a bench .... if you happen to be around and see me trying to get into a prone position, go on and dial 9-1- :?
2 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:05 am

Now that you've learned the Peep add a Lyman target globe front sight. It gets even better!
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Moe60
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Moe60 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Squatch wrote:Now that you've learned the Peep add a Lyman target globe front sight. It gets even better!
I'm pretty happy with my sight picture right now but I am considering a 1/16 bead vs the factory 3/32 to block less of the target.

Does looking through a ring at/through another ring with another ring in it multiply the effect? Or does the globe with a dot in it work better? How is the globe in low light? Distance focus better? So many questions - I should probably just get one when I order the smaller bead sight and give it a try.

Gonna have to talk to my financial engineer now, my Midway list is growing. I might have to look at my wants vs needs for my 1911. :? :? :?
1 x
I'm just a simple guy - I live from day to day - a ray of sunshine melts my frown and blows my blues away. Robert Plant