Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red dot

Tape
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Red dot

Post by Tape » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Big Old Boy wrote:FYI to those of us older people if you have not tried a red dot nothing to it dot on target pull the trigger no front site to line up, young eyes or old it works.
red dots not so "older friendly" those suffering with Astigmatism.
1 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Henry88 wrote:I especially want to take advantage of the new technologies during archery and muzzle loading seasons :D
You and me both. I hate going hunting and coming home empty handed. Plus.....my eye sight isn't getting any better at my age. It seems like every time I go to the eye doctor, I see his wallet getting fatter. Instead of me making that happen for him. I just invest in a new optic's for my rifles. MidwayUSA had a black friday sale that even I couldn't pass up.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Good points. I grew up with irons and still love to shoot irons and will shoot irons till my dying day. In all the various categories of guns I shoot, I keep some guns set up with irons, but, by the same token, I also keep guns setup with red dots or scopes. Gives me the option of choosing the best tool for the job or whatever I'm in the mood to shoot on any given day. I have a great respect for tradition, but I'm just as apt to make my own traditions as I go along. :)
All of my rifles are set up with iron sights and some kind of optics. I only have one rifle that isn't set up for optics. But, it's not a hunting rifle and I using it only for plinking from ranges like 25 yards to 50 yards max. I do have an red dot optic for it, I just haven't got the need for it at the moment.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Tape wrote:
Big Old Boy wrote:FYI to those of us older people if you have not tried a red dot nothing to it dot on target pull the trigger no front site to line up, young eyes or old it works.
Surgery can correct that for you. But, they also have lens that correct astigmatism if surgery is not an option. But, if you don't do anything to correct the astigmatism, no form of optics is going to help the shooter.
0 x

Tape
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Tape » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:
Tape wrote:
Surgery can correct that for you. But, they also have lens that correct astigmatism if surgery is not an option. But, if you don't do anything to correct the astigmatism, no form of optics is going to help the shooter.
Just a regular crosshair rifle scope will help the shooter, astigmatism only effect true red dot images.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Tape wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:
Tape wrote: red dots not so "older friendly" those suffering with Astigmatism.
Just a regular crosshair rifle scope will help the shooter, astigmatism only effect true red dot images.
I have hyperopic astigmatism and I can use both...a scope or a red dot. My hyperopic astigmatism is correct with lens. Have you had your astigmatism correct with lens....??? By the way, there are three types of astigmatism and all three can be correct with surgery or by using the correct lens. If you have mixed astigmatism, I can understand why your having trouble if your eye doctor has not corrected it with lens. I have diabetes and I will not let an eye surgeon touch my eyes until I have no other choice.
0 x

Bish1309
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Bish1309 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 am

Keeping in mind that red dots do require battery power....iron sights are ever lasting.

The red dot is a convenience but if your battery dies, it's probably prudent to still be able to use the reliable iron sights.
1 x
Bish

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 am

Bish1309 wrote:Keeping in mind that red dots do require battery power....iron sights are ever lasting.

The red dot is a convenience but if your battery dies, it's probably prudent to still be able to use the reliable iron sights.
True, but it only takes less than a minute to swap out a battery. With the red dot on my Henry, I always kept a spare handy when hunting or going to the range. When hunting, I would swap out to a new battery before starting a hunt. The only time I ever had a dead red dot was when I accidentally left it on after a range session.

For hunting, I prefer an optical scope. The magnification makes life a bit more accurate for me at distance.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 am

I have a red laser on my S&W 38, being a snubby, it helps a lot.
But outside with any light at all to speak of, it's VERY hard to see :?
Green dots are supposed to be better, I have not tried one. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW