Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red dot

Big Old Boy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Red dot

Post by Big Old Boy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 pm

I am new here and as of yet do not own a Henry but will soon get a 44 carbine. I have read that often times the front site is to low I have a Ruger American that has a vortex venom and I will try the same on the big boy and let you all know how it works.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Red dot

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:38 pm

You shouldn't have any problem with the vortex venom on a Henry. But do give us a range report.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Big Old Boy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Big Old Boy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:06 pm

FYI to those of us older people if you have not tried a red dot nothing to it dot on target pull the trigger no front site to line up, young eyes or old it works.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Daughter and I used a holo red dot on my BB steel. It brought both our groups down significantly, and she has young eyes. We have since decided a scope is the way for us to go. We have a nice Nikon on our H001, and liked it. I am currently trying to decide which scope to purchase for the Big Boy, but the red dot worked very well as a non magnifying option for well over a year.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:48 pm

The only complaint I've ever heard about a red dot on a lever gun is that it's not traditional. Of course, the same folks think a scope on a lever gun is sacrilege, too. Me, I used red dots on my Marlins all the time and loved them. They are easily the fastest to acquire sight and, unlike a scope, they don't change the balance or handling. Go for it.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 am

The days of iron sights on our firearms only....has come to an end. Could say....it's been a long time ago. But due to the internet and youtube....allot of the folks are still clinging to the old ways of doing things. Well, there is technology out there (scopes and red dot sights)....which will allow us to acquire or see our targets allot easier. It does not matter if your acquiring a target on the battle field or sighting in on one of God's awesome animals for a humane kill. The old and traditional ways of doing things....is just that....outdated....in my opinion. Scopes and red dot sights allow the young and old to see there target allot easier. It makes shooting allot funner. Plus at the end of the day at the range.....shooter are now bringing there paper targets home cause there proud of what they did or accomplished.

Don't get me wrong....I still love to shoot with iron sights. I still use them to this date. Had a shoot this past Sunday on my range at my house. Half way threw the day, I had an event that required the shooter to use there weapons iron sights only. No red dots or scopes were allowed to be used. I had two young guys ask me to sight in there rifles iron sights cause they didn't know how to do it. They both had red dot sights and the red dot sights had clear marking on how to adjust them like up and down adjustments. But, when it came down to adjusting there iron sights....they were lost. That iron sights only event....was the best time during the shoot that day.
1 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 am

I especially want to take advantage of the new technologies during archery and muzzle loading seasons :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Good points. I grew up with irons and still love to shoot irons and will shoot irons till my dying day. In all the various categories of guns I shoot, I keep some guns set up with irons, but, by the same token, I also keep guns setup with red dots or scopes. Gives me the option of choosing the best tool for the job or whatever I'm in the mood to shoot on any given day. I have a great respect for tradition, but I'm just as apt to make my own traditions as I go along. :)
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:58 pm

For me it's iron factory sights to the end, or until that griz gets me cuz my old eyes missed him. But either way I'm going out in an open-sight, lever-gun blind-as-a-bat traditional, stubborn blaze of glory!
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Love your style. If you need any help getting pointed in the right direction when you shoot, I'm sure Sir Henry will volunteer. Give me a chance to take cover, first, though. :)
3 x